Besides front page, on what other page to place posts?
When I login to my blog, the first thing I see are my posts, but the navigation menu starts with My Blog, which is separate from my posts. How can I place a menu item in the navigation menu that corresponds with my posts? Once I navigate to, say, My Blog, I find it hard to get back to my posts without either going to archives or the titles under my author avatar. I’m looking at this from the POV of a visitor who might get lost.
Finally, can I place my posts anywhere I choose, other than the front page?
The blog I need help with is skimbleshankstherailwaycat.wordpress.com.
I do not appreciate clicking usernames and arriving on site we have to click through to get to the WordPress.com blog in question. It is a waste of our time which could be better spent on helping others. Please, please link your WordPress.com username to your WordPress.com blog. I previously provided the instructions for doing that in another thread. https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/navigation-at-top-of-page-twenty-ten-help-needed?replies=6#post-614292 Please, please do it now.
Staff have provided this support documentation entry for those who want to structure their blog like a website which iI believe s what you want to do. > http://en.support.wordpress.com/using-wordpress-to-create-a-website/
What’s critical is to understand when creating a website structure is the following:
1. The differences between pages and posts > http://en.support.wordpress.com/post-vs-page/
2. There is only one dynamic page in a blog for posts and we cannot post to more than that one page. When we publish a post it automatically appears on the running page for posts and also on the Categories pages and Archives pages.
3. We organize our posts by assigning Categories to them. Although there is only one dynamic page in a blog for posts and we cannot post to more than that one page, we can create the appearance we have done so by creating a custom menu. In that custom menu you will be displaying Categories in tabs along the horizontal navigation to achieve what you want.
These are the how-to instructions:
1. You create a custom menu. http://en.support.wordpress.com/menus/
2. You add the Categories you want to display and arrange them in the order you want.
3. Then you add and drop and drag the sub-categories below the appropriate Categories, and when you have everything arranged in the menu that you want you save the menu.
4. Go to the “theme location” module at upper left on the menu page. Select your custom menu name from the pull-down labeled “primary location.” Click the save button in that module.
Note: If you wish you can also include pages and sub-pages of your own choice and custom links in your custom menu as well.
If you do not wish to have your posts display on the front page of your blog and that’s all you want to do then simply create a static page to become your front page and another to display posts on. http://en.support.wordpress.com/pages/
See here > Settings > Reading
Front page displays
__Your latest posts
__ A static page (select below)
@timethief: No, obviously not — I was typing my reply as you entered yours. You hit submit and I was still typing. I couldn’t see that you had posted as I was writing a response. I guess I’ll refrain from posting unless I feel moved to have two tabs open so I can refresh one and see if someone else has already responded. Of course, I’m not the pro you are, so it takes longer. Guess I should leave it to you all to give better responses than I can, and do it faster. :-) I just saw the post and thought I could give a bit of advice. Sorry for not knowing you were posting a response.
And now I look utterly nuts because the message I was replying to disappeared, as did my obviously amateur response. Sorry for coming in and attempting to help. From now on, I’ll just post when I have a problem, not when I think I might be able to help.
@mmadfan: The message dissapeared… or it’s in another thread?
(If that’s the case, the spam filter is to blame :-)
I think it must be a combination of my clicking finger hitting a link in TT’s post and brought me to another thread (yeah, my bad) and the fact that when I posted, TT’s post was not appearing to me — maybe the spam filter did something with it while I was writing? Or else my response was held up? (Don’t know how the spam filter works here.) I thought the post was sitting there unanswered, so I gave it a shot (it was in gaylord’s earlier thread with essentially the same question). Anyway, I think I’ll leave the more technical stuff to you folk with greater ease at quickly responding. :-) And it will also keep my clicking finger from bringing me to the wrong thread!
No bad here at all just lots of confusion. I could see my posts and yours but my posts couldn’t be seen as they were in the spam filter. A split second after I asked my question and clicked “submit” I realized what was going on so I emailed Staff and macmannx fished out my comments.
I’m so sorry you got caught up in this cloudy affair but the silver lining is your instructions are good! Please don’t back away from answering questions — we’d love to have you help! :)
The topic ‘Besides front page, on what other page to place posts?’ is closed to new replies.