How do I organise my blog posts in categories?
The blog I need help with is darlingtome.wordpress.com.
You start by assigning the minimal amount of relevant categories to each posts that actually describe the content in the post.
Selective assignment of relevant categories and tags to your posts can attract more views. (Categories and tags can be assigned only to posts, not to pages.)
All support docs are at https://en.support.wordpress.com/
Search for categories
See also: https://en.support.wordpress.com/topics/
The combined total of categories and tags on any post must not exceed 15 or it will not display on Categories and Tags pages and in the WordPress.COM Reader. After removal of the excess categories and/or tags note it may take several days for your posts to begin displaying there and in the Reader.
Also, note that posts do not display in the Reader forever. Posts only display in the WordPress.COM Reader for 60 days.
re: custom menu
This is a one or the other situation. You have two choices on any blog
(1) All posts on the front page.
(2) Or a static front page http://en.support.wordpress.com/pages/front-page/ and all posts on a different page.
By default the front page of a blog displays all published posts in reverse chronological order with the most recently published post on top. When we publish a post on WordPress software the software automatically creates the same entry in the Archives, and on the dynamic (automatically updating) Categories and Tags pages in accord with the Categories and Tags we assign to that post.
So when we create custom menu and add the dynamic (automatically updating) category pages to that custom menu we create the appearance (not the reality) of posting to more than one page.
You need to be aware that:
1. There are differences between posts and pages described here
2. There are differences between static pages we bloggers create https://en.support.wordpress.com/pages/ that will not automatically update, and dynamic category pages created by the software when you publish a post which will automatically update https://en.support.wordpress.com/category-pages/.
3. We organize posts by category assignment prior to publication. http://en.support.wordpress.com/posts/categories/ and when we publish posts the dynamic category pages they automatically display on are determined by the categories we assign to them.
So the process you need to use is:
a. Assign Categories to your Posts. https://en.support.wordpress.com/posts/categories
b. Create a custom menu https://en.support.wordpress.com/menus/#1-create-a-custom-menu
c. Add only the dynamic category page links into the custom menu that you want to appear in that menu https://en.support.wordpress.com/menus/view-all/#adding-category-pages and arrange them as you wish them to appear https://en.support.wordpress.com/menus/view-all/#changing-the-order-creating-sub-menus
d. Create pages and sub-pages for static content, not for posts https://en.support.wordpress.com/pages/
e. Add any custom links and other items like static pages and sub-pages into your custom menu
and arrange them as you wish them to appear https://en.support.wordpress.com/menus/view-all/#changing-the-order-creating-sub-menus
Please see https://en.support.wordpress.com/customizer/
The topic ‘blog posts’ is closed to new replies.