category archive page
ok, i’m an idiot. I while ago a friend help me set up a category archive page, i’d like to add another, but i can’t for the life of me figure out how he did it. Please help, i know it’s prett easy, but i’m not having much luck with support pages. Thanks in advance…
The blog I need help with is remarkablyunremarkable.net.
When we publish a post it will automatically appear in both the Categories pages we assigned to it and also in the Archives. Most bloggers use the categories widget and an archives but you have asked about a page so I suggest that you create a custom menu.
Staff have provided this support documentation entry for those who want to structure their blog like a website which is what you want to do. > http://en.support.wordpress.com/using-wordpress-to-create-a-website/
What’s critical is to understand when creating a website structure is the following:
1. The differences between pages and posts > http://en.support.wordpress.com/post-vs-page/
2. There is only one dynamic page in a blog for posts and we cannot post to more than that one page. When we publish a post it automatically appears on the running page for posts and also on the Categories pages and Archives pages.
3. We organize our posts by assigning Categories to them. Although there is only one dynamic page in a blog for posts and we cannot post to more than that one page, we can create the appearance we have done so by creating a custom menu. In that custom menu you will be displaying Categories in tabs along the horizontal navigation to achieve what you want.
These are the how-to instructions:
1. You create a custom menu. http://en.support.wordpress.com/menus/
2. You add the Categories you want to display and arrange them in the order you want.
3. Then you add and drop and drag the sub-categories below the appropriate Categories, and when you have everything arranged in the menu that you want you save the menu.
4. Go to the “theme location” module at upper left on the menu page. Select your custom menu name from the pull-down labeled “primary location.” Click the save button in that module.
Note: If you wish you can also include pages and sub-pages of your own choice and custom links in your custom menu as well.
BTW there is an Archives shortcode you can use. See here > http://en.support.wordpress.com/archives-shortcode/
The topic ‘category archive page’ is closed to new replies.