Changing the Order of Menu Items and Creating Sub-Menus I cannot move some items
I am using the Misty Look theme and a custom menu and my blog is http://www.billiescraftroom.wordpress.com
Earlier this week I added a new item to my tutorials tab. In the process of dragging this item up, the entire content of the tutorials tab has moved and I cannot get it to come back to where it was, on its own.
If you click on my ‘Textiles’ tab, the drop down list shows ‘Tutorials’ as the last item on it. All the sub items below ‘Tutoria’l are in the right location relative to the tutorials but the tutorials and its content should all be in a seperate tab on thier own after ‘Yarns’.
So the top level menu should read: Art, Bookbinding, Stamping, Textiles, Yarns, Tutorials.
I have read the instructions here; http://en.support.wordpress.com/menus/
and realise that I should be able to drag and drop these things around, but they only move as sub menu items to higher layers.
Please can anyone either help me do this or tell me what to do next.
Thank you for your time
The blog I need help with is billiescraftroom.wordpress.com.
Hi Billie. It sometimes takes a little practice to drag and drop the item in a fashion that it does not become a sub-item but an item by itself. Pay attention to the dotted rectangle that appears as you are holding down the mouse button. It should be aligned with the item above like this:
and not like this
Thanks for trying.
I realise that is what I need and indeed want to do, the problem I have is that the thing is very unresponsive and takes almost a minute to move anything. DH is good with computers and has also had no luck getting the menu to move down or to the left.
It is fast looking like I’ll have to rebuild the whole menu. It took me a month or more to do this at Christmas and three do overs :(
I’ll see if I can delete the ones in the wrong place and if I can I’ll let you know
When I’m in the editing area of the custom menu, if I click on an item to try to move it, it takes almost over a minute before the dotted line appears! This makes it physically painfull to try to move things as I have RSI. Either nouthing happens or something random after which I have to start over.
Does anyone else have such a slow response to this area of the site? Its a constant thing, it happened when I built the menu in the first place.
Its driving me nuts!!! Can WordPress reset my blog to where it was on Monday before I started moving anything? (Warn me if you can and would as I’ll have to save changes to future postings ;)
Sorry but its just so annoying and I’m trying so hard to fix it :(
Which browser and version of it are you using please?
- You could have a browser issue so try changing your browser settings, refreshing the page, or clearing the browser cache and cookies – instructions for specific browsers.
- Note that when you make adjustments to your browser settings — changing privacy settings, deleting cookies or increasing security — you will need to close your window and restart the browser before those new settings become effective.
- You could try upgrading your browser.
- You could try using another browser.
Also note that static pages sit outside the blog structure and yes it does take longer for the custom menu pages to load when we click save than it normally takes.
If you have difficulty with positioning using the drop and drag then do check the sub-pages themselves to see if you have established a a parent page child page hierarchical structure in the page attributes module. And to remove any “order” numbers you have assigned that may conflict with the order you are creating by dropping and dragging. Or simply change them so they are the same order as you establish in the menu. Be consistent and no problems will manifest.
I have noticed that if you click the “Automatically add new top-level pages” on the custom menu page then pages are automatically added and if you later try to drag and drop them to create a hierarchical parent page structure that will happen but you will also get a duplicate page when you view your menu on the front page of your blogs. So what I did was disable that auto-add function and then save the menu.
This is the basic process I use and it works very well for me.
1. Create Pages and sub-pages and assign hierarchical structure in the Page attributes module. Remove any numerical order from the “Order” boxes on existing sub-pages in the Page attributes module. In the case of new sub-pages pages do not assign numerical order in the Page attributes module.
3. Create a custom menu. http://en.support.wordpress.com/menus/ To create a custom menu, give it a name above and click Create Menu.
3. You add the Parent pages you want to display and arrange them in the order you want.
4. Then you add and drop and drag the sub-pages below the appropriate Parent pages, and when you have everything arranged in the menu that you want you save the menu.
5. Go to the “theme location” module at upper left on the menu page. Select your custom menu name from the pull-down labeled “primary location.” Click the save button in that module.
6. Refresh your browser so that it isn’t possibly pulling a cached page, and view see your new menu with Parent pages and drop-downs to sub-pages.
Thanks so much for your advice, I’m using IE8 fully updated. We’ll try another browser to see if that makes a difference. Which one would you recommend?
Many thanks, for your time
Many thanks. We’ll try everything.
Best wishes and thanks for your time
You’re welcome. :)
Just to say, I edited the menu in Firefox and it worked like DREAM.
All sorted in under an hour, after all that fuss eh.
I’ll remember Firefox, if I need to edit the menu again.
Thanks for your advice and sending lots of virtual chocolate cake your way.
Billie :) :) :) :)
Not sure what to click to set this thread as resolved but it is :)
Custom menus are fabulous. The set to resolved feature is in the original post to this thread and only you, Staff and our Moderators can access it. Not to worry about this and best wishes with your blogging Billie. :)
The topic ‘Changing the Order of Menu Items and Creating Sub-Menus I cannot move some items’ is closed to new replies.