Custom Email Address for WordPress Domain using HostMonster Mail Host
My blog domain is hosted by WordPress. I wanted a custom email address ((email redacted)) using my own mail host (HostMonster) and I had a heck of a time figuring out how to get that accomplished, but finally succeeded.
Maybe my experience will be helpful if someone else is trying to do the same.
This is for users who purchased their domain through WordPress via the upgrade bundle. My mail host is HostMonster; other providers may have alternate procedures, but the concepts should be similar.
1) from the WordPress dashboard, go to Store – My Upgrades and click on the Domain Settings link.
2) select “add email” and choose Other as your email provider
3) select “add DNS records”
4) enter the custom DNS records per the example. Mine were:
CNAME autodiscover mail.mydomain.com (enter your email smtp)
A mail 00.000.000.000 (enter the DNS of your HostMonster acct)
MX 10 mail.mydomain.com (enter your email smtp)
5) validate and save the DNS records
6) from the CPanel of your HostMonster account, select Domain Manager
7) select “Assign a Domain to your CPanel Account”
8) enter the domain name (not currently assigned to your account)
9) to verify your ownership, you will need the EPP code from your WordPress domain. You can obtain that by following the instructions in the WordPress help documentation, using the domain manager. Be careful, you do not want to initiate a transfer! But you can get the EPP code.
10) select “Addon Domain”. It would make more sense if you used Unassigned Domain, but it does not work. Remember, according the the custom DNS records, you are only using the Addon Domain for mail processing.
11) click on Add Domain
12) Now if you go to the Add Email Address function in HostMonster, you should now be able to create a new email address using the name of your WordPress domain
Good luck! Hope this is helpful.
The blog I need help with is rockinrightside.com.
Thanks for that info tbalek!
Here’s the WordPress support page for other providers are well (Google Apps in particular): http://en.support.wordpress.com/domain-mapping/add-email/
Thanks for the post! I am confused on the Gmail option. I linked my account with Gmail and every thing was a success. However, I am confused as to how I will be able to set up an e-mail that is “(email redacted)”. Is just that it takes the Gmail account and links the Gmail “username” and makes it “(email redacted)”?
Let me know if you know anything about this.
I have the same question as nineteenthdynasty. Does anyone know how to customize your “@mydomain.com” with a custon name and not your gmailusername.
Yes, you can setup your email following this guide: http://en.support.wordpress.com/domain-mapping/add-email/
There are several options available, and all will give you an email address at your domain, even the Google Apps option.
Thanks, I had already seen that guide but I guess I didn’t follow the steps properly. I solved the problem. Thanks..
The topic ‘Custom Email Address for WordPress Domain using HostMonster Mail Host’ is closed to new replies.