Display of post content on static pages; number of posts on blog pages
I’m new to WordPress, and this is part question and part suggestion as I suppose that the answers will be negative…
1. Is there a shortcode or other option that would allow to integrate the content (title and full text) of a single post on a static page? Basically I’m looking for something like “[archives type=postbypost limit=1 option=fulltext]“.
2. Has there ever been a consideration to have two separate values for “Settings -> Reading -> Blog pages show at most”, one for the front page, and one for other blog pages, like archives, categories, or search results?
3. Same question as #2 for “Settings -> Sharing -> Show buttons on -> Front Page, Archive Pages, and Search Results”.
I believe it’s two very different use cases, with the front page usually showing few posts in full text and with full sharing options, whereas an archive page would typically show many posts, possibly just summaries, where the sharing options take up too much room and impair the ability to get a quick overview. So I would think that differentiated settings could be very helpful.
(The referred blog is currently just a layout draft.)
The blog I need help with is goldredblue.wordpress.com.
Are you clearly aware of the differences between free hosted WordPress.com blogs on this multiuser blogging platform and stand alone WordPress.org installs for self hosting? Please read this > http://support.wordpress.com/com-vs-org/
I think I am quite aware of the differences. Why? Would it be unreasonable to ask about or request such features in WordPress.com?
1) no, outside of the category/tag pages
2) only staff can say, but if they did consider it, they rejected it
1. The archives shortcode is limited to the options discussed here. Whether staff will add more options and capabilities in the future is anyone’s guess.
2. It would be nice to have the ability to choose different numbers of posts on the main page and cat/tag/archives pages, and it has been requested before, but with wordpress forcing infinite scrolling on everyone and locking that into 7 posts per load, we are losing even that option as far as the main page goes. I don’t think this will happen given the direction things are going. It would also be nice to choose whether we wanted full posts, excerpts or just titles to show on the cat/tag/archives pages.
3. You do have some control over which page types the sharing icons display on, but it isn’t extensive. We have more options now than we had to begin with so anything is possible.
You might want to look over these two posts by Panos on excerpts and which themes honor them or not and also which themes show excerpts by default in the cat/tag/archives pages.
One other thing I’ll mention is that static pages set outside of the normal “blog” structure so in general you cannot put posts on them. The archives shortcode will present a list of posts or year/month links, but it does not show any post content.
You can add categories to the menu system on your site using a custom menu and either have those at the top of the site, or in a custom menu widget in the sidebar. I don’t know if that would be of use to your or not, but I thought I would offer it.
Many thanks to all for your input and the concise answers.
In your experience, is there any more promising path — other than dropping them into the forums — for bringing such requests to the attention of WP staff?
@thesacredpath: Yes, I had reviewed all of the material you reference, and I appreciate your guidance in trying to find workarounds. I’m somewhat stuck with the Ari theme due to other preferences, though, and basically looking for more control over the front page which seems to be the one feature that’s hard to come by in WP.
I’m aware of the unfortunate infinite scrolling history, too, but since there is now an option to disable it (of sorts) I thought it would make sense to have separate “number of post” and sharing options for front page vs. cat/tag/archives pages.
@timethief: I’m still puzzled by your question as well as the reference to my post in the Themes forum. Actually, I don’t see how the two topics would be related (even though I’d appreciate any input to the other one as well!).
If there is anything I can do to communicate more efficiently in these forums, please advise.
Thanks again for everyone’s help.
I posted the reference link above hoping either raincoaster or thesacredpath would answer you. Staff are away until July 23rd and only arrive once daily to deal with threads flagged for their attention. There were pages of threads whereing others need help I could porivide and I did not want to devote ny volunteer time to typing all that stugg that thesacredpath did for you. I’m visually challenged and I answer threads that I have ready answer for. I avoid posting into all “wouldn’t it be nice la, la, la threads”
RATS! I did not spellcheck – sorry :(
I posted the reference link above hoping either raincoaster or thesacredpath would answer you. Staff are away until July 23rd and only arrive once daily to deal with threads flagged for their attention. There were pages of threads wherein others needed help that I could provide, and I did not want to devote ny volunteer time to typing all that stuff that thesacredpath did for you. I’m visually challenged and I answer threads that I have ready answer for. I avoid posting into all “wouldn’t it be nice la, la, la threads”
The topic ‘Display of post content on static pages; number of posts on blog pages’ is closed to new replies.