Domain Mapping

• Hi there,

I just signed up for the free account on WordPress a few days ago and I’m trying to map my GoDaddy domain. When originally signing up, I saw that there was an option to add your own domain for $13 but I’m not seeing that option anymore. Do I have to sign up for premium at $99/year just to have my own outside domain?

Thanks in advance.

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi,
    Follow the steps in this guide to set up the domain mapping (for $13) for your domain: https://en.support.wordpress.com/map-existing-domain/

• Thank you for your response, micawbr.

I followed the instructions and am still getting the same error. When I go to checkout it says $99 instead of $13. I don’t see an option for the $13 purchase anywhere.

I updated the DNS settings with GoDaddy, using all caps and with no caps. Followed the instructions with GoDaddy via the article you sent me. Nothing seems to be working.

I’ve tried it using Safari, Google Chrome, Mac, and PC. The only option I keep getting is for the $99 upgrade.

• Can anyone help me? I’ve been trying to figure this out for hours, its quite urgent.

Why am I not seeing the option for the $13 domain mapping, is this offer no longer available?

• I’ve tagged this thread for a WordPress.com staff member to assist.

• Domains are no longer available for purchase or mapping individually. They are included with WordPress.com Premium. This change has been made as we work to offer the best combination of value and performance for users while still offering a completely free product for those who do not wish to purchase any upgrades.

A great way to go if you are not interested in WordPress.com Premium is to look into setting up a self-hosted WordPress.org site through a hosting provider such as Bluehost, GoDaddy, or Pressable.

WordPress.com vs. WordPress.org

• I guess I’m confused. A friend that recommended WordPress to me signed up for the $13 domain mapping probably a week ago. I recommended WordPress to another person a few days ago and we signed up at the same time. He was able to get the $13 domain mapping. I tried to sign up for it maybe an hour later and wasn’t able to. Not sure I understand why they were able to and I wasn’t. Originally when signing up I saw the $13 option and that’s what helped my decision to go with WordPress.

• So I am stuck with having to upgrade to premium just to use my own domain (which is already paid for with GoDaddy) even though 2 people I know were able to do the $13 option the same time I tried?

• I am having this same issue! I have done this many times for clients. But today, I cannot add domain mapping only without it upgrading me to the $99 a year paln. If I remove the plan it removes add domain!

… ah.. just saw.

NOT HAPPY.

• Hi there.
    Read the response of @rootjosh above, please

Domains are no longer available for purchase or mapping individually. They are included with WordPress.com Premium. This change has been made as we work to offer the best combination of value and performance for users while still offering a completely free product for those who do not wish to purchase any upgrades.

https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/domain-mapping-1118?replies=9#post-2641970

• @rootjosh: What about domain mapping renewals?
    If a user has a standalone domain mapping upgrade, will they have the opportunity to renew at the cost of domain mapping only (as opposed to buying WordPress.com Premium)?

• What about domain mapping renewals?
    If a user has a standalone domain mapping upgrade, will they have the opportunity to renew at the cost of domain mapping only (as opposed to buying WordPress.com Premium)?

I think so. It is what happens with the other upgrades (Custom Design, Extra Storage, etc).

• Yes. Existing upgrades will be renewable.

• The topic ‘Domain Mapping’ is closed to new replies.