Domain Mapping

• Author

carlje

Hello,

My blog was recently hacked and all content deleted. I’ve managed to reset passwords and save most of the content via cached pages, but it seems my domain name is no longer mapped. I had purchased my own .com address through WordPress and have a receipt, but my blog now only functions on its original wordpress.com address. If I try and type in the .com address, I get –

Warning! Domain mapping upgrade for this domain not found. Please log in and go to the Domains Upgrades page of your blog to use this domain.

And am unable to re-add my domain in dashboard and fear it may have been deleted. Any help you could provide on getting my domain back would be fantastic.

Thank you

The blog I need help with is somefilmsandstuff.wordpress.com.

raincoaster

Well, what IS the .com address?

carlje

It’s somefilmsandstuff.com

raincoaster

You don’t need to re-purchase the domain, as it is clearly yours, but you do need to buy Domain Mapping. What does it say on the Domains page of teh dashboard?

carlje

It says:

The main part of your blog URL is its domain. An example of a domain is “wordpress.com”. You can have your blog at any domain you control, such as example.com, or set up a domain to automatically redirect visitors to your blog URL. Read more about it or enter a domain name below and follow the prompts.

Please contact support if you wish to delete a registered domain.

Register or Map a Domain Name:

Which has a box – if I fill it in with my .com domain, I’m told:

Unable to map somefilmsandstuff.com
    The domain somefilmsandstuff.com has already been registered on WordPress.com. Please contact support if you would like to map this domain again.

And below is the Primary domain section, which is somefilmsandstuff.wordpress.com

rachelmcr
    Staff

Hi there,

I’m sorry that someone gained access to your account. Please make sure you have a strong password on both your WordPress.com account and your email account. You may also want to set up Two Step Authentication on your account for added security.

We received a request from your account to cancel your domain in a private support thread here:

https://en.forums.wordpress.com/private-support/cancel-domain-216?replies=4

However, don’t give up hope! :) We may still be able to recover that domain name for you. I contacted our domain registrar, and we’re working on it. I’ll let you know as soon as I have news about your domain.

Please let me know if you have any questions in the meantime.

carlje

Hi there,

Thanks for getting back to me. Unfortunately the person who cancelled my domain was not me. I’ve got a more secure password now and will set up two step authentication as soon as.

If you could recover my domain for me that would be absolutely fantastic and greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks for all your help on this matter,

Carl

raincoaster

Make sure to change the password on the email associated with your account here. That’s the #1 way people get into our blogs.

carlje

Yeah that’s how it happened – guessed my secret questions and then used that email account to get into this one. Going to be much more careful in future! Luckily I’ve managed to save all of the content.

rachelmcr
    Staff

Hi Carl,

Good news! We caught the cancellation in time, so we were able to restore your domain somefilmsandstuff.com to your account. It’s active again on your blog.

If you have any trouble viewing your blog when you visit your domain, you may need to clear your browser’s cache.

If there’s anything else I can help you with, please let me know. :)

carlje

Hi Rachel,

That’s fantastic news thanks so much! :) you’ve been a great help with this.

That should be everything and I’ll work on getting the blog back on track.

Thanks again and have a great day!

:)

The topic ‘Domain Mapping’ is closed to new replies.