Domain Name

• Author

tim1t

I just signed up for the $99 premium plan and gave the woman name as TravelPhotographExperience.com. But for some reason I must have done something wrong and it gave me a WordPress.com address.
    How do I reset so I get the URL that I want?

The blog I need help with is travelphotographexperience.wordpress.com.

thatrobyn

Hello there!

You have added the Premium plan, but you haven’t yet registered a custom domain name for travelphotographexperience.wordpress.com.

To do this, please go to the following link:

https://wordpress.com/domains/add/travelphotographexperience.wordpress.com

You can register your new domain name here, as part of your Premium upgrade.

I hope this helps! If you have any other concerns, drop me a note. Thanks much!

tim1t

I clicked on the link several times and it redirected me to https://wordpress.com.
    And that page seems to not have any link regarding registering my domain name. Can you be a bit more specific?

thatrobyn

Hey there!

Are you logged into your WordPress.com account? If not, log in, and then try that link again! That should bring you to the correct location.

If it doesn’t work, could you please try to take the exact same action in Chrome or Firefox (rather than Safari) and let me know how that works for you?

Thanks much! :)

tim1t

Logged in via Firefox and got the same page.

thatrobyn

Tim,

All right, I’m going to send you elsewhere :)

Make sure you are logged into WordPress.com.

Then, go to:
    https://travelphotographexperience.wordpress.com/wp-admin/paid-upgrades.php?page=domains

Click Register a New Domain Name.

Follow the instructions as given.

Let me know if that is more of a success for you.

Thanks!

tim1t

Robyn, that seems to have done it.

tim1t

Another question since I have you now. I wanted to add a few categories to the site. Specifically one for photography and one for travel. But how do I define each when setting up that widget? The first time I tried, I separated them with commas and the system thought that was one category.

thatrobyn

Tim,

Terrific — glad that domain link worked for you!

I wanted to add a few categories to the site. Specifically one for photography and one for travel. But how do I define each when setting up that widget?

If you are adding categories to you posts, you can type in the name of a category, then click the Tab key. The Tab will separate one category from another.

Does this help?

Let me know!

tim1t

Actually the tab shifts the active area to the Add a Widget Button. And my guess is that button will add a second widget to the design. And when I tried to do that in Firefox, it shifted the active area down to the “Display as Dropdown” check box.

I did add that one category. But it didn’t show up as a menu item on the page anywhere. And that’s what I want, to be able to have categories on the left or right nav that show the categories as sections of the site.

thatrobyn

Hi again,

Sounds like we’re talking about two different areas of your Dashboard!

Here’s the problem as I see it: in order to add categories to your menu, you must have a) created all the categories you want, and b) added at least one post to each category. Categories cannot be added to your menu until they have posts affiliated with them.

Can you confirm if/when you’ve done this for all your categories? If so, I can talk you through how to add them to your navigation/menu.

Thank you!

tim1t

I have a new issue to ask you about. I have been trying to upload some images for a post for the last three days and get this error message:

Obviously I’ve been “trying later” for long enough to know that’s not the issue. I tried making the images smaller, 1500 px a side instead of 2000 px. No change.
    Any thoughts?
    Tim

The topic ‘Domain Name’ is closed to new replies.