I have a few questions about domains. I’m thinking of upgrading my domain, and am curious about the process.
1) If I upgrade my domain (removing the “wordpress” from the URL), will people who type in the old URL, with “wordpress” still in it, be directed to my new URL attached to my website? or will it go to an error page?
2) Is it possible to add URL’s that can filter to the main website URL? If so, does each domain cost extra?
3) If I decide to upgrade, is it possible to change the domain later at any time?
1) All links to the old base your-site.wordpress.com will go straight to your-site.com – no errors
2) You can have several domain names mapped to a single WordPress.COM blog – BUT only one can be “Primary” (the one displayed by the browser) – yes each one costs extra for both domain name registration and domain mapping
3) You can change the domain name any time (your-new-name.com) – but not recommended as people get used to a particular URL and I don’t think confusing loyal visitors is a good idea
Is it possible to keep my current domain — therapynathan.wordpress.com, and then purchase a second completely different domain altogether to map into that one?
therapynathan.wordpress.com, and then purchase a second completely different domain altogether to map into that one?
Yes – that is the definition of Domain Mapping – your therapynathan.wordpress.com stays – the only difference is your visitors see a different URL in their browser when they visit
The site linked to my name is domain mapped –
The topic ‘Domain questions’ is closed to new replies.