Editor Feedback

• @designsimply, thanks for acknowledging the issue. The new editor is a boon for type then post users but it alienated authors who liked more advanced functionality being more accessible. Used to be that you can insert image, insert a URL, and a Caption all in a single page; it is now 3 independent steps-pasting the image in editor, clicking it to add caption, and editing link via ‘insert link’ function from the top.

Also do check on the click menu for image where the function of aligning and inserting caption is missing at random. It is probably the one and only factor I am back at wp-admin.

Again, thank you

• @flowbeth

I agree with the pasting from a URL, That feature was great.

Sorry, can you describe this one in more detail for me? I want to make sure I’m thinking of the same thing you are. Pasting an image from a URL, pasting a link from another source, something I’m not thinking of?

When I click to hyperlink, there is no list of previous content!

We are going to work on this soon. Thank you for the feedback. I have made notes about your other suggestions too.

(3) I’m not happy about not being able to rename the images when adding them to the post in the image selector. I also cant see how to add an ‘alt text’ or a description. All of these features make it easier for me when adding those images from the post to my Pinterest. It means I have already done the work so I don’t need to alter the description on Pinterest. This, I think, is something that needs to be able to come back.

Do you mean the title field? The title field is editable. Can you look at the following screenshot and let me know if it clears up this issue? https://cloudup.com/cmyA38pbQlG

• @glitterandgrey

I used to pin a post to the top of my site, so that it would appear at the beginning, but now that option isn’t available and my new content is all the way at the bottom. This was a function I used very consistently.

To pin a post, or make it sticky, click the arrow and text just above the Preview button.

• I don’t like the new sad editor. I want the old happy editor. I finally became comfortable with the old editor and you changed it. Not cool. At least give me the option of using the old editor in addition to the new sad editor. Don’t you want me to keep blogging? When you make a severe change you should ask your “customers” what they want before assuming what they need. I don’t need the new sad editor. I don’t want the new sad editor. I am not happy.

• @azunavean

Also do check on the click menu for image where the function of aligning and inserting caption is missing at random.

I will look into this. I don’t think it’s missing at random but I do think it’s missing when you are hotlinking images. Many services frown on this practice and that is one reason why it is encouraged to add images to your media library.

• @oprflife, before you immediately switch to the old editor, is there anything I can do to help you with the new one?

• I do not want to use the new editor. I find it unworkable and the block-quoting is a pain in the arse. I was fine with the old editors. I want it removed. Please tell me how to do it.

• Hi I’m using google chrome Version 45.0.2454.99 m and windows 10, I’ve tested the floating toolbar on Microsft edge and this seems to be floating fine, but not in google chrome.

Please bring back the html toolbar :))

• @reasonablehank, before you switch back to using the older editor, may I please try to help you with the new one? What part of creating a block quote are you having trouble with? I think that should be working the same way in both editors, but maybe you are doing something I’m not thinking of and I would like to help test.

@barrygidman, gotcha, I will test in Chrome on Windows 10. The HTML toolbar will come back! It may take a little time and depend on prioritization of other issues. Sorry for the trouble while we work out this move!

• I want to switch back to the old editor, and I’m displeased that I wasn’t given an easy option without having to come here to ask. Thx.

• @designsimply The said image host is sites like imgur/photobucket etc which I believe has no issue against hotlinking. Beside, I can have a private album host which I can hotlink back to WordPress as well.

I can understand the convenience of WordPress media library, but as a free user unfortunately, 3 GB is extremely limited in these days and age.

The feature is available on some of my hotlinked image, some are not, as I said, it isn’t consistent. I’ll take 2 example, if you would follow the link to my image as I explain.

Image A was uploaded when the new editor went live, at first it shows up same as Image B, but after I save draft, closed the window, reopens, it appears as image A.

Image B was more recent, and no matter what URL I paste it, it still show just an X, no alignment/caption tool at all.

This was the complaint I’ve raised.

• I can’t edit my old post so I would like to correct a few things from my previous post.

– Both Image A and B are hotlinked.
    – All my older image that were hotlinked before the new editor went life, has the alignment/caption feature. Only in latest hotlinks the feature refuses to appear, except an X.

• I should be thorough with my feedback before I post… I feel like a spamming double/triple posting without the ability to edit and update my post to add in additional info. Here is the screenshot :

There is also issue with re-url for hotlinked image, again this is done with the same said Image A and B. Image A can has it’s link URL changed and enable browser to open tab with no issue. Image B(The one with the missing alignment caption option) has a different options, and even without changing anything, just merely closing the insert link pop up with ‘Add Link’ while not altering anything, it’ll break the image.

• Not sure if it is connected but when I use the press this button on my browser, I used to be able to insert an image from the page I was pressing into the post and it would go into my media file.

This doesn’t seem to happen anymore, can this be fixed please.

also
    * how do I save a draft I seem to only be able to publish or save as pending.

• I am reading through a number of the replies and a lot of answers are “we haven’t added that yet” or “it will be added later” why do you continue to remove features that people use or find useful, do you enjoy the flaming that comes from it, I wonder if any of you guys actually use your own platform to blog yourselves.

Do you have any idea how annoying and frustrating it is to have changes like this thrust upon you only to be told “we have not released that yet” or similar.

• Have just started using the new editor so these are my initial reactions.

1)What happened to the proofreader prompt? I prefer to manualy proofread during my writing.

2) Is there a way to change the edit view to be wider as it was previously – it now cuts off half of the title and in general I prefer the wide view when writing.

• When posting from something like the daily post I am sure there was an option to post on your own site, now I have to use the wordpress share option which is fine, however it doesnt allow me to switch sites which it used to do as i have a couple of blogs.

It is now more complicated to enter these as the blog that appears is not the blog I want to post on as it isnt my main blog

how can i quickly switch blogs from this window?

• I can’t put my finger on why, but still like the original editor, especially the contact forms. Was disappointed that the the new editor doesn’t have the easy way to link to existing content that the interim version had. Otherwise the new one is good enough. If you make any changes I would ask very nicely pretty pretty please to add the contact forms and existing content search and link feature

• @h4hh The PressThis image feature is on our improvements list and will be added to the new Editor in the future.

This Editor was rebuilt from the ground up so nothing was removed, but rather every feature had to be rebuilt. Because of this, we prioritized the most popular features and common requests for things missing from the previous editor into this one, but wanted to launch it to get feedback on what to prioritize next. As you can see from this thread, we’ve gotten a lot of feedback :) The Editor team is already working on enhancements and adding features that were missing at launch so please keep an eye out.

• When posting from something like the daily post I am sure there was an option to post on your own site, now I have to use the wordpress share option which is fine, however it doesnt allow me to switch sites which it used to do as i have a couple of blogs.

@h4hh The writing prompts did used to include a link to start the post directly on your site. This will be returning, but in the meantime you can just copy a link to the prompt from your browser, visit WordPress.com/post, select a site, and paste the link in to ensure your post in included on The Daily Post once published.

• The topic ‘Editor Feedback’ is closed to new replies.