expired domain

• hello to everyone,
    my domain expired a while ago and I would like to switch the host, but keep the domain name. Does anybody know how long it takes for the domainname to be free again?

thx

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hello @kaderes1997,

You domain appears to be expired 17 days ago. That means it has felt into the so-called Redemption period.
    During that time, the domain can still renewed, but all the registrars impose an additional $80.00 redemption fee (the fee is standard for all the vendors), and the domain is put on for sale at an expired-domain auction, which means that other parties can bid for buying your domain. The Redemption time may vary in duration.

Once the Redemption time is over, the domain goes back on sale at its normal price (there won’t be the $80.00 redemption fee on top to pay anymore).

Please note that once expired, the domain may stay unavailable for up to 90 days. You should check the status of your domain (if it’s available for sale and/or in auction) and decide whether to buy it again accordingly.

Hope this is all clear. Please let me know if you have any more questions about that. Cheers!

• So that’s how it is. Thank you very much!

• You’re welcome! Have a nice day :)

• @stefaniamattana
    Unfortunatly I need to renew the page right now, even if it costs 80$.
    But I don’t know how to do it, I couldn’t find any clues in the settings :/ So how to renew the page as fast as possible?
    Please help !

• @kaderes1997 – I’ve tagged this for Staff assistance, although there is no guarantee they can recover the expired domain for you. Please be patient while they get back to you.

• Thanks for your support :)

• @kaderes1997, you didn’t mention which domain so I reviewed your account and noticed that domain mapping for kaderes.com had been setup for that domain in the past, but the purchase of the domain itself (the ownership) was made through an outside registrar other than WordPress.com. This means that in order to renew it, you would need to contact the registrar where the domain was originally purchased. In this case, if you haven’t already re-purchased then the domain may be lost because I noticed someone purchased it through Hover recently. If you were not the one to do that, then I’m afraid it is too late to request to get the domain back for an additional fee as mentioned above.

If you were referring to a domain name other than kaderes.com, please let me know.

• Sry, the domain all this is about is kaderes.org. It was me who bought kaderes.com as a new domain, as plan B one could say. But the domain I absolutely need back with all its content and settings is kaderes.org.

• I reviewed your kaderes1997 WordPress.com account and found that the kaderes.org domain was originally mapped on 2015-03-02 and that mapping expired a few days ago.

Keep in mind the mapping upgrade works to connect a domain you have purchased elsewhere to a WordPress.com blog—a mapping is separate from a registration.

Regarding the ownership of the kaderes.org domain itself (the domain registration separate from the mapping), it appears to have been purchased and possibly also renewed somewhere else. You can find out more by doing a WHOIS search on the internet for the domain name. When I search, I see that kaderes.org is set to expire on 2017-01-13 which means someone else may have picked it up after you let it expire.

> Does anybody know how long it takes for the domainname to be free again?

This can vary and depends on the popularity of the domain, whether or not the registrar is able to sell it at auction, how the domain was cancelled, etc. Your best bet will be to check with the registrar where the domain was originally purchased (which in the case of kaderes.org does not appear to be WordPress.com).

• Boy, even I’m confused. (easily done).

Here’s what it says in the Domain Helper for KADERES.ORG:

Nameservers Validated!
    Congratulations! The nameservers appear to be set up correctly for KADERES.ORG.

We require that your name server configuration include only the following servers or their numeric equivalents:

NS1.WORDPRESS.COM
    NS2.WORDPRESS.COM
    NS3.WORDPRESS.COM
    Your name servers are as follows:

NS1.WORDPRESS.COM
    NS2.WORDPRESS.COM
    NS3.WORDPRESS.COM
    Accordingly, your configuration is correct.

A general DNS lookup for your blog returns the following information:

; <<>> DiG 9.8.4-rpz2+rl005.12-P1 <<>> NS KADERES.ORG
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 258
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 3, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;KADERES.ORG. IN NS

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    KADERES.ORG. 86400 IN NS ns1.wordpress.com.
    KADERES.ORG. 86400 IN NS ns2.wordpress.com.
    KADERES.ORG. 86400 IN NS ns3.wordpress.com.

;; Query time: 2 msec
    ;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
    ;; WHEN: Tue Mar 8 16:30:49 2016
    ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 96

Then:

Confirm Primary Blog Settings
    You’ve set a different domain (kaderes.org) as primary for kaderes.wordpress.com. Although you can map more than one domain to your blog, only one can be primary. To read more about setting a primary domain, please see this documentation.

Bottom line, however, it seems that the domain mapping upgrade has expired.

• Those are DNS settings :) but for domain ownership info for renewals and such, you’ll want to look at WHOIS and try to find the owner/registrar details.

With regard to mapping, what you’re looking at is ace. Keep in mind that a domain can be purchased elsewhere but still be setup to work on WordPress.com, and that’s what’s going on in this case. Regarding renewing a domain or getting one back that has expired (the original goal), the user must do that through the registrar or company where the domain was purchased (which is not WordPress.com in this case).

Aside: a lot of times, if another party is able to get the domain after expiration, the DNS stays put until the new owner updates later—which can be quite confusing. That might be what’s happening here. Domains are tricky. :)

• FWIW The info in the Whois registry for KADERES.ORG and on the Contact page on the OP’s site is nearly the same.

Alrighty then, I guess we’ll wait to hear from the OP.

• And actually, the OP’s original question was

my domain expired a while ago and I would like to switch the host, but keep the domain name.

Since kaderes.org appears to be an active domain purchased from an outside domain registrar and expires 01-2017, if the OP is indeed the current domain owner, I would think that after Staff remove the current expired domain overlay, it would be possible to set kaderes.wordpress.com as primary in the Domain Dashboard here and then change the visibility settings to Private so that it is not competing with the new site.

Then the OP can change the DNS pointers in that other domain registrar’s dashboard to their new website hosting.

I have confidence that @designsimply will correct me if I’m wrong. :)

• if the OP is indeed the current domain owner

I assumed they may not be based on their original note saying the domain expired a while ago.

I would think that after Staff remove the current expired domain overlay, it would be possible to set kaderes.wordpress.com as primary in the Domain Dashboard here and then change the visibility settings to Private so that it is not competing with the new site.
    Then the OP can change the DNS pointers in that other domain registrar’s dashboard to their new website hosting.

Since the domain settings are managed elsewhere (in this case), the DNS can be updated any time to point to the new website hosting regardless of WordPress.com settings. This requires that they have control of the domain as a first step.

• once again, thanks for all of your support! Really you are great :)
    Right know (after using whois ;) ) it seems that the worst case scenario happened: a domain-grabber, already snatched the domain name!
    That requires my plan B: To map my other domain kaderes.com again on wordpress and create it in exactly the same way as kaderes.org previously.
    If you have any advice for my how to do this the easiest and most efficient way please let me know :)

Thanks again @ justjennifer and @designsimply you’re helping me a lot!!!

• @kaderes1997, what you will want to do first is go to the company where you purchased kaderes.com and update the name servers for that domain to NS1.WORDPRESS.COM, NS2.WORDPRESS.COM, and NS3.WORDPRESS.COM

It is normal for a change of name servers to take up to a few hours to go through. While you are waiting…

Then you will want to go to https://wordpress.com/domains/add/kaderes.wordpress.com and click “Map It” and add kaderes.com there.

As soon as the name server change goes through and the domain mapping is also in place on the WordPress.com side, go to https://wordpress.com/domains/manage/kaderes.wordpress.com click on kaderes.com click the Make Primary button and save changes.

When that is done, everything you currently see at https://kaderes.wordpress.com/ will then be available at http://kaderes.com/

• My apologies! I just realized you did say in your original help request that you wanted to keep the domain but change hosts. If you do not want to use WordPress.com for hosting any longer, then you can ignore my last comment :) and go straight to your new web host to ask for help with settings (they will be able to give you the correct name servers for their services) and to get a site setup and going.

If, however, you are okay to stay on WordPress.com, then the instructions I posted a few minutes ago are the way to go. I also think this is the fastest route. And, if you still want to change hosts after that, you can go from there if you do the mapping at WordPress.com first.

• The topic ‘expired domain’ is closed to new replies.