Need help? Check out our Support site, then

Forwarding with masking getting 404 code?

1. I forward and mask domains a lot and this is the first time i have gotten an error code. I have never had to change nameservers before.

The domain is (Godaddy) which I am forwarding and masking to, a free blog

However I am getting a 404 error code. Godaddy states there are too many ip addresses pointing to the domain? I am not the actual owner of the blog, just the one setting it up. Currently waiting for owner to get back with me with acct info so that I can talk with Godaddy more in detail. Until then, I wanted to know is there anything I can do on my end? I have never had this problem before with a free blog.

The blog I need help with is

2. I suggest you stop this practice which will be doomed to fail intermittently and simply purchase a domain mapping upgrade to map from your blog to an existing domain.

3. Okay, that definetly is another way of approaching it and keeping any problems such as this at bay, but may I ask why forwarding is so wrong?
    As I said I never had any problems before. And what does the google 404 code has to do with it?

This will help in future decisions. Thanks for your response and input.

4. I flagged this thread for a Staff response. Please be patient while waiting.

5. Okay, thanks.

6. Hi there - the 404 error is not coming from the WordPress side - it's a Google error page.

As timethief mentioned, our recommended way of pointing a domain to a site is using our domain mapping upgrade:

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic