giving feedback on Spectrum
Spectrum is one of the best (for me) themes i’ve seen recently. i’ll revert back to 2010 for now as i’m geared for it and there are a couple of things that Spectrum offers and then seems to limit that may be able to be adjusted…
things i like about Spectrum:
– the single tile image option.
– the transparency – over all i like this direction
– layout (single side column and especially the header area – blog title, menus and comment layout areas – the way it’s set up, easy to spot etc. – i like this a lot)
things i’d like adjusted on Spectrum (if possible):
– the green behind the title of a post is limiting to options that Spectrum seems to open up – particularly color for background and header, but also images in the blog – i like the idea behind it a lot, i’d like either to choose my own color (preferable) or to make it a more neutral color such as gray, black or white variations
– i’d prefer the header itself to be larger – or some options as to size.
– i’d like the size of the side column font and space to be smaller so that it doesnt compete with the blog entry visually.
– if the blog Name could be separated from the transparency area it would read a little better – even something like what is done with the menus.
all in all, i appreciate the effort and thinking in Spectrum. way cool, thank you.
The blog I need help with is 19planets.wordpress.com.
I second your observations on things that need to be adjusted. The thing is though that wordpress seldom makes changes to an author’s design unless it is necessary to support features or if it has to do with the limitations here.
This is more of a technical error from I can determine for Spectrum. I tried previewing Spectrum for 2 of my blogs:
and the one embedded with my name profile.
Same problem: the blog date has tiny single apostrophe at the end. For example:
07 10 10′ All blog dates have this “error” in the conversion.
Otherwise I like the the overall clean look of it, etc.
2. For a 4th new blog which is currently private because it’s in draft: I noticed that if a blog title is long, it just word wraps and title appears as a block of text, 3 lines long, left justified at the top of the blog page. Is this the intention?
@rickdaddario Thank you for the feedback, glad you like Spectrum. As thesacredpath says we stay fairly true to the original design unless we need to support new features or fix display bugs.
@maidiebike Thanks for the info. For #1, that is a bug that we’ll fix. #2 is intentional, yes. Spectrum works better with shorter titles since the title area is rather narrow.
@lance – I haven’t tried Spectrum on my test blog yet, but the Gallery in the demo blog is seriously borked both in FF and Chrome. Thumbnails under the main image on attachment pages disappear or don’t appear at all and if they do the link to the next image isn’t active; if you click on the post title, all the thumbnails and the post title are suddenly covered.
I’ve tested this theme and it didn’t seem right. The front page was just fine, but, when I clicked in a singular post, the background and other features were all in trouble, including the side bar widgets.
I can verify the background problem on single post pages. Safari 5.0.2 and in FF 3.6.10 as well (both Mac).
Same thing happens on pages as well.
Thanks much! The issue was with the tag cloud in the footer (when it was disabled). Should be fixed now.
What are the title/text selectors for this theme? Is there an easy way to find them myself? I always open up the code with the “view source” option in my browser… but I can never seem to find them.
The page is in the menu bar, but when I click on it not one of the things I have listed on that page shows up. I am using twenty ten right know no problem. The other page shows everything but this one is blank.
@ lance & @ sacredpath – thank you for looking into and replying.
yes, i’m behind your policy to not alter/adjust an authors creation – unless functionally necessary – i appreciate that attitude a lot. i wasnt sure if the things that are suggested might reach and be considered by the original author. altho i have to admit i do not know the time involved already or what it would take for the author to adjust their theme – and of course they might like it as is too. i did leave my testing of Spectrum up. a better choice for the background image would be easy enough for me to do (i just used something i had) and help on my part but then i suspect there will be choices like that too.
i wonder… if it would help those who are creating themes, to have a group of bloggers who would be willing to test their themes out while in development before opening it up to all. may be you already do that. or they do it in house.
i like a lot about what Spectrum is doing. it may not be quite there for me yet, but i’m sure it will be for a lot of people. cool on working out the bugs too. thank you.
Does anyone know the header, site description, and content html selectors for this theme? I’m using Typekit and I can’t seem to find the right selectors I’ve tried using Firebug but I still can’t find the right codes. I would be eternally grateful for any assistance!
Blog title: #header #logo h1 a
Tagline/description: #site-description h2
Post/page content: .entry
The topic ‘giving feedback on Spectrum’ is closed to new replies.