I was wondering whether someone could help with a couple of questions I have regarding a so called “Guided Transfer” to move my current wordpress.com website to a wordpress.org hosted website.
(1) I understand I will need to pay a monthly fee to the web host and the fixed cost to the wordpress transfer staff. If I have a Premium Theme on WordPress.com, will my wordpress.org website look identical to it after the transfer? If not, what do I need to do to replicate it?
(2) Also, will my current paid domain name (thenameofmyblog.com) transfer across too, so that my followers will be able to find me?
Many thanks for your help in advance! :)
1. Correct. WordPress.com premium theme upgrades are non-transferrable. For us to transfer the blog out, we’d need you to switch to a free theme and contact us to remove the premium upgrade. That will then open up the Guided Transfer.
2. Yes, we’d be happy to point it to your new site. It can either be the main URL (primary) of the new site or it can simple redirect people if you’d prefer a new URL. Note that you’d still need to renew it annually here at WordPress.com or transfer it out to another registrar and pay them annually if you wish to keep it.
Thank you for getting back to me so promptly. I really appreciate it.
1. Understood. Thank you for explaining. :)
2. I am a little confused. I understand the part that I must go onto wordpress.com to renew my web address annually to keep http://www.beilovebei.com. When I change from .com to .org will this change my address from http://www.beilovebei.com?
Thank you for your help!
I purchased a guided transfer yesterday, or at least, I thought I did as I got to that point of giving my credit card details and getting that note on that site that I should avoiding posting new articles in the meantime.
What’s so strange is I have not gotten any email receipt/acknowledgement from you guys so i’m not sure what’s going on.
I just want to be able to fully transfer my msmemorygap.wordpress.com to the msmemorygap.com. I’ve done the initial transfer by downloading the xml and uploading it to the new one. I’m just having problems with the redirection, analytics, and the behavior of the template so I’ve decided to purchase the service in the hopes of getting this done immediately.
I logged in again today and looked at the store section to check for notifications and the guided transfer is not available anymore. Please help me find out what the status of my purchase is.
They have a backlog on the guided transfers right now. I think that’s all that’s going on.
that’s what I suspect, too. but no email updates or at least notification that they have a backlog? that’s the least they can do to provide some sort of peace of mind to their customers.
@raincoaster Not true. We had to limit the amount Guided Transfer purchases for a little while earlier this year due to the demand vs our maturing toolset, but we never had a backlog in communication or servicing them.
Those purchasing limitations have been removed entirely at this point with the exception of WordPress.com premium themes and custom font blogs. Owners of those upgrades need to contact us so we can assist them with adjusting their blog for transfer.
@msmemorygap, be sure to check the email address on file for your WordPress.com account. That’s where we contact you. I’ve asked one of our engineers to look into your specific situation as well and he should be getting back to you on this thread soon.
I sent another email to the address that’s associated with your account.
You can find the email address that’s tied to your account under Users -> Personal Settings in your dashboard.
If you still can’t find the email in your inbox, please check your junk/spam folder, just in case it’s getting stuck there.
Let me know if I can be of any help!
I was wondering whether you could advise me on 3 more questions I have:
1. When I change from .com to .org will my web address be the same, i.e.: http://www.beilovebei.com?
2. Does wordpress.org have a Reader like wordpress.com, so I can browse other blogs?
3. If the main reason why I want to change due to advertising revenue, are there any ways I can do it through wordpress.com?
Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it :)
Many thanks for your quick response, really appreciate it.
1) Will my followers on wordpress.com be automatically followers of my new wordpress.org website?
2) How much traffic is “medium to high” to qualify for WordAds?
Thank you for your help :)
1. No. You have to install the JetPack plugin and then get WordPress.com Staff to move your subscribers to the WordPress.org iste for you.
2. I have no information in additon to what I provided links to above. I’m sorry I don’t have an answer for you and that’s not from lack of trying to find one. There has been no clear statement published that I can locate aside ftom the program is open to all WordPress.com bloggers and it’s a 50/50 spilt. Frankly, I’m astonished that anyone would enter an advertising contract without knowing what the terms of the contract are. I flagged this thread so you will get a Staff response. Please be patient while waiting.
1. Please let us know when you Jetpack installed, then (to avoid confusion) clarify exactly which blogs you’d like to transfer subscribers to/from.
2. I don’t have any exact numbers on that, but please feel free to apply, and we’ll let you know if you qualify.
The topic ‘Guided Transfer’ is closed to new replies.