Guided Transfer questions
I’m working with the owner of the blog http://awomansparis.wordpress.com/ and we want to move it to our own hosting. It looks like the Guided Transfer process is our only option to getting the entirety of the site’s content, but we have a few questions that we’d like to have answered in order to determine if all of our bases will be covered with this process.
1) Are you only willing/able to move a site to one of your “recommended hosts”? It’s a small list, and the host we want to move the site to isn’t on it. I can provide your engineering staff with FTP login credentials, as well as mysql credentials (DB name, user, password, host). We’ve got phpmyadmin available, so this should be a very straight forward process. I’d do this myself if I had the access to the wordpress.com host. If this is an option, do the engineers prefer a blank slate to work with, do they want me to have done a basic wordpress installation first, or something else?
2) The site is using what looks to be a premium theme – specifically: Chateau. The developer of that theme does have it available for purchase outside of the wordpress.com environment, and we’ve already gone ahead with purchasing it. What, if anything, do your engineers need from us to facilitate the transfer including the original theme? Do you need a proof of purchase, do you need us to install WP and add the Chateau theme ourselves, something else?
3) We have the domain http://www.awomansparis.com, and I’ll take care of updating the site’s address once the transfer is complete, but outside of that address change, the end result we’re looking for is to have the entirety of the site’s content (files and tables all intact), with no need to have to follow up with monkeying around with CSS or anything else. The site should look as it does right now. This seems like an obvious thing, but there’s enough vagueness to what’s actually moved over, along with support posts that indicate it’s not a 1 to 1 transfer, that I feel that I need to verify that what you’re doing amounts to a 1 to 1 transfer of all of the site’s content.
4) I’d be more than happy to communicate further via email (or phone if that’s an option) with an engineer to go over more details.
here are links to relevant support documentation:
Briefly summarize your remaining questions, which you can put to Staff when they respond to this thread, that I have tagged for their attention. Subscribe to the thread and you will be notified when they respond.
Yup, I’ve gone over those links quite a bit. The summary of the remaining questions that I had after going over that documentation are the 4 that I posted above. Heck, if I could just pay you folks for FTP and phpmyadmin access, I’d do it in a heart beat and take care of the migration myself :)
I’m subscribed to this thread, and I’m looking forward to the Staff response – thanks!
1) Are you only willing/able to move a site to one of your “recommended hosts”?
Yes, we currently offer Guided Transfers only to those four hosts.
2) The site is using what looks to be a premium theme – specifically: Chateau.
Chateau is actually a free theme, so that theme would be set up on the self-hosted site as well.
the end result we’re looking for is to have the entirety of the site’s content (files and tables all intact), with no need to have to follow up with monkeying around with CSS or anything else. The site should look as it does right now
While we don’t guarantee an exact 100% match between the WordPress.com site and the self-hosted site due to slight differences between the two platforms, the Guided Transfer team tries to come as close as possible. All uploaded files, including images, will be transferred over.
It looks like the Guided Transfer process is our only option to getting the entirety of the site’s content,
Whether you have our Guided Transfer team do the transfer or you opt to transfer the site yourself – or have another professional do it – there will be not much difference, if any, in the content that gets transferred.
Please note that Guided Transfers will not be available for purchase from December 15 though January 1.
If you have any further questions or concerns, just let us know.
The topic ‘Guided Transfer questions’ is closed to new replies.