Jennifer, thanks a lot for taking a look and for your suggestions.
I was trying to connect the two sites into one but sort of gave up on that idea until I started playing around with the custom menu and custom links yesterday. (Thanks Panos.) Now I am seeing the possibilities...
I still have a few issues to work out:
1) You said you would not make the Galleries parent page inactive. Why not?
2) I agree that opening new pages will add to the confusion but then I need to remove the custom links to facebook and twitter because once someone goes there they have no way to come back. Or is it common for people to use the back arrow to return to a site...I think that is also too confusing, no?
3) You didn't see the custom link to my blog from my website (or the additional links to facebook, twitter and flickr) because I went back to the non-custom menu after running into a few problems last night. Here's one: I need to provide a way back to http://cathyscholl.com/ once I add the blog link that connects to http://cathyscholl.wordpress.com/ so traffic can go to the blog and then back to the site.
4) I don't want my Home page on http://cathyscholl.com/ to say HOME. On the tab, yes but not on the page itself.
Right now it's doing what I want it to do but when I created the custom menu there was no Home page in the list of options to add to the menu...I don't know why (hope that makes sense.) So the custom menu doesn't provide a way to get back HOME...even while staying on cathyscholl.com? I need to take a closer look at that.
5) I get the part about using custom links so I have only one ABOUT and one CONTACT page...and it all reads more like one site...sounds great...
6) Same widgets on both sites? Hmmm...maybe. I was hoping to run http://cathyscholl.com/ as a "true" website so did not want widgets. Thought it might seem unprofessional on a website...but these days anything goes I guess.
7) I have the no ads upgrade on http://cathyscholl.com/ so I guess only those pages will remain with no ads even once I link everything together? Which means the pages I want to keep are all the ones on cathyscholl.com and link to them from the blog as you suggested.
THANKS TO ALL WHO ARE READING THIS! Hope it's useful to others :)