How to get your wordpress blog to show up on google search?
Apologies if this is a trite question many people have asked before. I have googled this question, but got many conflicting answers, so thought I’d pose it to actual WordPress users.
I’ve tagged all of my posts with ‘the full musician’ (the name of my blog) and put them under a category called ‘the full musician’ as well. However, when I type in the name of my blog into google, nothing comes up. If I put it in quotation marks (‘the full musician’), I get only one post show up.
Is this something that will increase if your blog gains popularity? Or am I doing something wrong in the labelling? Are there any special ‘tricks’ or ways to get your blog to have more visibility?
Thanks for your time! I’m a new user so excuse me if I’m asking annoying things.
The blog I need help with is thefullmusician.wordpress.com.
This is the process we WordPress.com bloggers use to verify our blog ownership with the major search engines, and I suggest you act on it. http://en.support.wordpress.com/webmaster-tools/
Wordpress.com provides sitemaps nad there’s nothing you need to do.
It takes time for your content to be indexed by search engines and when that happens is strictly between you and the search engines. http://en.support.wordpress.com/search-engines/
The most important thing you can do to gain search engines attention is to publish original content posts frequently and here are the 10 factors that tend to expedite indexing of content by search engines.
When it comes to Categories and Tags see here please for guidance > Topics > Missing posts > http://en.support.wordpress.com/topics/#missing-posts
Note that traffic flow from the global topics pages is negligible. It’s primarily Google and other search engines that send significant traffic to blogs. Search engines pay more attention to your keywords in your content than they do to your keywords in Tags/Categories. If the spiders detect tags use of Categories and/or Tags that are not found in the post content they COUGH.
These 5 videos introduce how Google discovers, crawls, indexes your site’s pages, and how Google displays them in search results. 5 Google Webmasters Video Tutorials
The process of applying Search Engine Optimization (SEO) practices to your site relies on understanding both sides of the system so you know how search engines work, how to use them effectively, and what your target audience searches for. You will find that and my notes in these videos Two SEO Videos for Bloggers
Here are 25 basic steps to take to increase traffic to your blog:
1. Structure a reader and search engine blog;
2. In blogging content is king create unique, high quality content so publish fresh content frequently;
3. Learn basic SEO so you can use keywords effectively and apply basic SEO to your headlines, blog and posts;
Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of improving the visibility of a website or a web page in search engines via the “natural” or un-paid (“organic” or “algorithmic”) search results.
4. Make your blog posts look professional;
5. Create at least 4-6 pillar posts and continue to create pillar posts;
Pillar posts are also referred to as flagship content. Pillar posts are comprehensive posts that offer great value to readers as the contents are timeless in nature. They define you as having authority in the niche you blog in.
6. Select and link to appropriate anchor text;
7. Leave meaningful comments on related blogs and encourage comments on your own blog;
8. Develop relationships with other bloggers so you can build a blog readers’ community around your own blog;
9. Support the blog centered communities on related blogs by commenting on them and promoting posts from them;
10. Link to authoritative sources in your posts;
11. Deep link to your earlier related posts in your new posts;
12. Assign appropriate categories and tag your posts with care;
13. Link to related authoritative blogs in your blogroll;
14. Provide RSS feeds for subscribers;
RSS (Rich Site Summary or really simple syndication) is a format for delivering regularly changing web content. Many news-related sites, weblogs and other online publishers syndicate their content as an RSS Feed to whoever wants it.
15. Having a well designed theme is important, evaluate your theme for effectiveness, and if required, create a new header, make improvements or replace your theme and reduce page loading time;
16. Avoid cluttering your blog with widgets that lack reader value and slow page loading time;
17. Buy your own domain and domain mapping;
18. Verify your blog with the three big search engines.
19. Get organized, use an online to do list by developing a blogging workflow;
20. Join social networks and social media sites like Facebook and use Twitter, Friendfeed and other Free RSS directories to promote your blog posts;
21. Promote your blog through social networks, online groups, and selected directories;
22. Develop a social media time management strategy and stick to it;
23. Submit your latest pillar article to a blog carnival;
24. Become a guest blogger on sites with higher page rank than your own site.
25. Create newsletters and/or ebooks for your subscribers.
You are a legend. Thank you so much. I’ll take all of that onboard :) Much gratitude!
You’re welcome and do remember to bookmark this thread. :)
Done! I’m so excited at all this info.
Quite interesting to read this and quite a few good ideas. I started a blog just about a year ago but only made it two posts before pretty much giving up. Right now I’m just focusing on making posts and getting some content out there. I figure just get some good content and worry about the rest later.
I picked up a few tips that I wouldn’t have thought of myself. Thanks for number 5 especially. Lesley
The topic ‘How to get your wordpress blog to show up on google search?’ is closed to new replies.