How to make a page not show at top/Make ‘top posts’ not include pages?
Hi all. I have two things I’m trying to do with my blog that I think are possible, but I can’t figure out how.
1. I want to create a page– not a post– but NOT have that page show up at the top of my blog, where all the pages are listed as tabs. Is that possible? Ideally, the page also wouldn’t show up in search results (essentially I want the page to only be accessible from a link to it on another page).
2. I’ve noticed the sidebar widget “top posts” also includes pages– so that often, among my top 5 posts, two of them are pages. That defeats the purpose, in my mind– of course the top post/page will be the home page, it’s the one everyone has to visit! How can I make the widget ONLY include blog posts???
The blog I need help with is danielbroberts.com.
FYI: I see I have the same question as this thread that was never answered:
Have you set up a custom menu or not? http://en.support.wordpress.com/menus/
If you have set up one then you can exclude or include as you wish. Also note that when you create a custom menu there is a checkbox on the top right hand corner. Look for this, disable it and then click “save menu”.
— Automatically add new top-level pages
If you have not set up a custom menu then please see here to hide some of your pages from appearing in the top navigation area of your theme or in the Pages Widget in the sidebar. http://en.support.wordpress.com/pages/hide-pages/#hide-from-the-navigation-menu
I don’t know if the display ot top Pages is intended behavior or not and can’t find any answer to that here. > http://en.support.wordpress.com/widgets/top-posts-widget/ Unless another Volunteer knows the answer you will have to contact Staff and ask them. > http://en.support.wordpress.com/contact/
Staff provide this support documentation entry for those who want to structure their blog like a website. > http://en.support.wordpress.com/using-wordpress-to-create-a-website/
What’s critical is to understand when creating a website structure is the following:
1. The differences between pages and posts
2. The impact of choosing to restructure a blog to become page based
3. We organize our posts by use of categories. There is only one dynamic page in a blog and we cannot post to more that one page. However, we can create the appearance that we have done that by setting up a custom menu and displaying Categories in tabs along the horizontal navigation menu. Instructions > custom menus > http://en.support.wordpress.com/menus/
I don’t want to do a custom menu because I don’t want the pages listed in the sidebar. I want it to look just as it does, with pages listed at top of site, but then I want a page that doesn’t show up on top. I clicked the link you gave (thanks) about hiding pages from top menu, and it doesn’t seem to help. it seems to only show how to give a page a parent page. I tried that but then if you hover over the parent page name up top, you see the new page in a pull down menu.
What I want to do is create a page that you cannot access at all from the top header of my site. Thanks!
ah, I got it. Custom menus indeed did the trick. Thank you!
Now the second part: how to make pages NOT show up in my “top posts” sidebar widget?
@dannyrobs, there is no way to exclude pages from the top pages and posts widget. It used to be top posts only, but was changed due to a high number of requests for that behavior.
I don’t know if the display ot top Pages in the Top Posts widget is intended behavior or not and can’t find any answer to that here. > http://en.support.wordpress.com/widgets/top-posts-widget/ Unless another Volunteer knows the answer you will have to contact Staff and ask them. > http://en.support.wordpress.com/contact/
Thanks for that info. :)
@TSP, thanks. seems really stupid though, to not give the option. sometimes that box ends up being all pages, no posts at all. totally defeats purpose of showing off the most viewed blog posts, since the pages are accessible up top. Wow.
The topic ‘How to make a page not show at top/Make ‘top posts’ not include pages?’ is closed to new replies.