HTML Source Editor. Problem with Greek

  • Author
    Posts
  • #8321

    bizwriter
    Member

    My blog is in Greek. Everytime I was opening the HTML window before, I could see my post in Greek. Now, I see incomprehensible things. In particular, the words shown are letters of the greek alphabet, e.g. “sigma” = the letter “Σ” (“σίγμα), “epsilon” = the letter “Ε” (“έψιλον”) etc. This happens ever since the HTML source editor window changed in appearance a few days ago.

    #8583

    uniquefish
    Member

    I also noticed the exact same problem. Greek characters are converted to HTML special characters. I can see this not only in tinyMCE but also in the source code of my blog. My blog is set for UTF-8. This didn’t happen before the update of tinyMCE.

    TIA

    #8585

    drmike
    Member

    Still dumb question just for my reference. What character set should it be in? Thanks.

    #8593

    bizwriter
    Member

    For example, this post (http://bizwriter.wordpress.com/2006/04/01/account-executive/) would have been appeared like this previously: <p>Ποια είναι η δουλειά του account executive σε μια διαφημιστική εταιρεία;</p>
    <p><!--more--></p>

    Now, however, it appears like that: <p>&Pi;&omicron;&iota;&alpha; &epsilon;ί&nu;&alpha;&iota; &eta; &delta;&omicron;&upsilon;&lambda;&epsilon;&iota;ά &tau;&omicron;&upsilon; account executive &sigma;&epsilon; &mu;&iota;&alpha; &delta;&iota;&alpha;&phi;&eta;&mu;&iota;&sigma;&tau;&iota;&kappa;ή &epsilon;&tau;&alpha;&iota;&rho;&epsilon;ί&alpha;;</p>
    <p><!--more--></p>

    #8653

    bizwriter
    Member

    The problem persists. It is very annoying. Any help please?

    #8657

    drmike
    Member

    Maybe if you had answered the quesion I had asked you. We can’t help you if you don’t give us the information we need to do so.

    The reason I’m asking is that your blog is in UTF-8 which I do not believe uses Greek characters. Have you checked your Dashboard -> Options -> Reading -> Encoding for pages and feeds and made sure that it’s set for ISO-8859-7 which I believe is for Greek?

    #8659

    bizwriter
    Member

    I use UTF-8 since I first began writing, and I had no problems with that till the HTML pop-up window upgrade. Anyway, I changed the encoding to ISO-8859-7 but the problem persists.

    #8667

    andy
    Member

    bizwriter, we’re aware of the issue and working on a solution. Please be patient.

    #8670

    bizwriter
    Member

    Thanks, Andy!

    #8715

    uniquefish
    Member

    Hello.. Is this a major bug of the editor? The problem persists, practically nullifying the use of UTF-8

    #8724

    sofiagk
    Member

    Hi,

    Me too!

    I am importing from Blogger, from a blog that had ISO-8859-7. Even if i set WordPress to that it doesn’t work.

    Any news on a solution?

    #8727

    uniquefish
    Member

    Thought of bumping up this pending issue, since it’s a “language matters” day :)

    #8728

    bizwriter
    Member

    any news on a solution, please???

    #8729

    neoliberal
    Member

    Same problem in the Sapphire theme in the source this time… in all the other themes the text is saved normally -even though the html edit problem is the same for all of them- In the Sapphire theme they are saved in the mode that Bizwriter described (epsilon;iota etc) earlier and thus the search function becomes useless for the texts that have been written under that theme.

    #8730

    nikoxy
    Member

    Same problem appeared in the Regulus theme a couple of times. Post appeared in Unicode/HTML mode, in both Safari and Firefox.
    I pasted a fresh copy of text and the UTF/HTML view passed away…

    But the problem remains… It’s practically impossible to edit any text.
    Any news?

    #8731

    andy
    Member

    Greek characters were added to the HTML encoding list a few versions ago. I am exploring ways of leaving these intact without breaking encodings. We should have a solution for this very soon.

    #8732

    uniquefish
    Member

    Thank you for putting your efforts on this. FYI three or four months back these problem did not occur. It started when the editor was updated.

    #8733

    uniquefish
    Member

    This looks as it has been fixed :)
    Thank you guys.

    #8734

    bizwriter
    Member

    Yep, it works fine now for my blog too.

    Thank you very much guys!

The topic ‘HTML Source Editor. Problem with Greek’ is closed to new replies.