I can't add a new "Parent" page to my custom menu! Help!
Hi, I’m trying to add a new option in my menu on my blog. I currently have four different pages; Home, About, Interior Design and Petals by Payton. I would like to add a new page to this menu called “Snapshots” but every time I try to add the new page it either deletes one of my current pages or won’t show up at all! Please help!
The blog I need help with is hersatisfiedsoul.com.
The process you need to use is:
- Assign Categories to your Posts. https://en.support.wordpress.com/posts/categories
- Create a custom menu https://en.support.wordpress.com/menus/#1-create-a-custom-menu
- Add only the dynamic category page links into the custom menu that you want to appear in that menu https://en.support.wordpress.com/menus/view-all/#adding-category-pages and arrange them as you wish them to appear https://en.support.wordpress.com/menus/view-all/#changing-the-order-creating-sub-menus
- Create pages for static content, not for posts https://en.support.wordpress.com/pages/ and arrange them as you wish them to appear https://en.support.wordpress.com/menus/view-all/#changing-the-order-creating-sub-menus
- Add any custom links and other items like static pages into your custom menu https://en.support.wordpress.com/menus/view-all/#adding-custom-links and https://en.support.wordpress.com/menus/view-all/#adding-pages
Thank you for the links and help – I have tried creating new Categories and Pages but I am not able to add content to them – they don’t show up as an option when I want to post content. Do you know how to make it active for me to post to?
You need to be aware that:
1. There are differences between posts and pages described here
2. There are differences between static pages we bloggers create https://en.support.wordpress.com/pages/ that will not automatically update, and dynamic category pages created by the software when you publish a post which will automatically update https://en.support.wordpress.com/category-pages/.
3. We organize posts by category assignment prior to publication. http://en.support.wordpress.com/posts/categories/ and when we publish posts the dynamic category pages they automatically display on are determined by the categories we assign to them.
Ok, I understand the differences between Post, Page and Category. But, what then, did I create on my blog to have those four different options in my menu? I don’t understand what I did to get those options? I’m confused..
I’m not seeing a clear way to help you with this so I tagged this thread for Staff. Please subscribe to it so you are notified when they respond. To subscribe look in the sidebar of this thread, find the subscribe to topics link and click it.
I would like to add a new page to this menu called “Snapshots” but every time I try to add the new page it either deletes one of my current pages or won’t show up at all! Please help!
I see that you were able to add Snapshots category to your menu bar. Was that your biggest issue?
I have tried creating new Categories and Pages but I am not able to add content to them – they don’t show up as an option when I want to post content. Do you know how to make it active for me to post to?
As you have already appeared to have done with the other categories on your blog, with Snapshots, you create a post that you want under that category, and before you publish the post, you can assign and/or add new categories to posts before you publish them using the Categories module to the right of the post editor. For more about adding categories, please visit our support page.
But, what then, did I create on my blog to have those four different options in my menu? I don’t understand what I did to get those options? I’m confused..
I checked and saw that you have not officially added and organized a custom menu or a menu structure to your site. Creating a custom menu and a menu structure will help you keep your pages and categories organized and active.
I see you’ve created categories and have assigned them to posts and you have created pages. I also see that you have created several custom menus but are currently not using them. So, it seems you have a pretty good grasp on everything, but If you need assistance with anything specific regarding categories or custom menus, feel free to let us know!
Yes, thank you for the help – it took a little fiddling around but I managed to figure it out. Thanks!
The topic ‘I can't add a new "Parent" page to my custom menu! Help!’ is closed to new replies.