Re: lied to ... no, I think in fact I'm darned sure it's all my own confusion.
I don't usually feel like I need any of those '...for Dummies' books, but reading he comments, I'm feeling like I do!
I thought it went like this:
Want your blog URL to be something like http://www.lisamighton.com? Can't happen unless you move from a wordpress.com account to a wordpress.org account. If you do that, you need to know some CSS to operate some of the stuff you need over on the other side (in wordpress.org land).
But I think I'm reading from you guys that I'm rather muddled.
I do own a handful of domains, http://www.latitudemedia.ca which currently auto-forwards to my blog because I've been too lazy to update my main site's content, and some for brand protection and eventual use.
You're right, I have two different needs I'm talking about here
- not liking having 'wordpress' in my URL
- possibly wanting the freedom/option to have ads on my blog/website, should I choose to
A couple of other clarification questions, from @timethief comments:
- you write, 'as you do not appear to know the basic stuff required to manage your own wordpress.ORG install on your own domain':
- If by that you mean it's possible to install wordpress.org on the
http://www.latitudemedia.ca domain that I own, which if I'm understanding you guys
right, would solve the 'I don't want 'wordpress' in my URL' problem? -- Yup -
you're right - I didn't know that was possible.
- you write, 'You can hire a web host for between $5 and $7 per month and get a free software install from wordpress.ORG'... OK I don't completely understand that, but I can try to research to understand it more -- are there web hosts like this that you'd recommend?
Thanks for your time I appreciate it