I'd appreciate some layout advice
1 and 3: what does Youtube and MP3 have to do with page layout?
A lot. Do i go for icon, thumbnail, halfshot, fullshot? Link or embed? Will they affect page performance? What look’s best and functions best.
I’m hoping someone will come along who has some experience and can offer some insight into the practicalities as well as the aesthetics.
Time will tell.
If you are going to be putting a ton of videos and such on a page, I would suggest using the next-page tag and breaking things up so that page load times remain faster.
The other way would be to create individual pages and then set them up in a dropdown tab from your main top navigation menu.
You might also consider breaking things up by general subjects on separate pages, and also think about having audio and video stuff separate.
Ah, good ideas, thanks TSP.
You are welcome.
Going for your ‘separate pages’ approach i think. Have started to experiment. And it seems to sort of work. Early days though.
Here’s a follow up to TSP’s advice with regard to creating separate pages with dropdowns to sub-pages and creating a custom menu.
1. You create the static pages your require first.
2. Then you create a custom menu > Appearance > Menus. To create a custom menu, give it a name click Create Menu. Then choose items like pages, categories or custom links from the left column to add to this menu.
When you have finished building your custom menu, make sure you click the Save Menu button.
2. You add the Parent pages you want to display you drag and drop to put them in the order you want. You can also click each item to reveal additional configuration options.
3. Then you add and drop and drag the sub-pages below the appropriate Parent pages, and when you have everything arranged in the menu that you want, you save the menu.
4. Then you go to the “theme location” module at upper left on the menu page. Select your custom menu name from the pulldown labeled “primary location.” Click the save button in that module.
5. Refresh your browser so that it isn’t possibly pulling a cached page, and view see your new menu with Parent pages and dropdowns to sub-pages.
Wow, that’s impressive, thank you. I’ll be coming back to this over the next couple of days for reference.
Thanks a lot @timethief.
Sorry about the double mention of saving the menu in the instructions above. You’re welcome. :)
The topic ‘I'd appreciate some layout advice’ is closed to new replies.