IE issues displaying sidebar text.

  • Author
  • #508692


    I believe that I am in the right forum – we do not host our own blog but use wordpress to do that. We use the Garland theme (and have not changed it).
    I have noticed lately that our left sidebar is not displaying correctly in IE. It displays fine in FF. Three of the pages listed there do not wrap to a new line – instead, they overlap the content in the middle. Today I also noticed that the right sidebar has huge fonts now, and some of the posts also are showing huge fonts.
    I went to and ran it against my site. It shows some issues on line 61 – which I don’t know how to get to. I’m assuming that I don’t have control over the main page xhtml, as I am not hosting this. I am so frustrated at this point. I may be asking a silly question, but I feel like I have spent hours trying to get to the code to fix it.

    Any ideas on what is going on? I went to MS site and tried all their suggestions, to no avail.

    The blog I need help with is



    First step – look at each post individually and check for errors.
    If they all have errors that is one set of problems.
    But if one post has the problem you need to edit that post, click the HTML tab and check that every opening tag has a closing tag.
    Your widgets look good so I’d go with posts first.



    Hi There!

    I recommend going to your Settings → Writing → then check mark → “WordPress should correct invalidly nested XHTML automatically” as well as follow the instructions fmark, provided…




    SK – thanks, I changed my settings and that should help with future posts.

    Mark – Is there any way to check all posts through a validator? I typed in the URL for one in and am still getting the line 61 error. However, this line does not exist in a post that I can see. I have copied the actual output below. How do I get to this code in

    Line 61, Column 206: cannot generate system identifier for general entity “top”
    …-image.php?src=bg-navigation-item.png&top=072b55&bottom=195794′) no-repeat 50%…✉
    An entity reference was found in the document, but there is no reference by that name defined. Often this is caused by misspelling the reference name, unencoded ampersands, or by leaving off the trailing semicolon (;). The most common cause of this error is unencoded ampersands in URLs as described by the WDG in “Ampersands in URLs”.

    Entity references start with an ampersand (&) and end with a semicolon (;). If you want to use a literal ampersand in your document you must encode it as “&” (even inside URLs!). Be careful to end entity references with a semicolon or your entity reference may get interpreted in connection with the following text. Also keep in mind that named entity references are case-sensitive; &Aelig; and æ are different characters.

    If this error appears in some markup generated by PHP’s session handling code, this article has explanations and solutions to your problem.

    Note that in most documents, errors related to entity references will trigger up to 5 separate messages from the Validator. Usually these will all disappear when the original problem is fixed.

The topic ‘IE issues displaying sidebar text.’ is closed to new replies.