Importing my blog from Posterous didn't work in 24 hours
Importing my blog from Posterous didn’t work in 24 hours
The blog I need help with is pipik1199.wordpress.com.
Same here. It said if I don’t hear within 24 hours to contact support, but instead it put me into the community forums.
s4xton.wordpress.com , importing from s4xton.com. Started import about 48 hours ago and no progress.
So, the import did succeed after maybe 25 hours :-). Go figure.
pipik1199 – glad to hear the import finished.
s4xton – I’ve stopped the import on your site since it was not running. Please try again and let me know how it goes.
Ms. Happiness Engineer kathrynwp-
I restarted the import. It appears to be working fine. Says it’s still in progress, but I think most of the posts have imported. Maybe there’s a couple last things it’s pulling yet. Thanks for your help.
s4xton – great. If you are missing any content after the import has completed, just let me know.
kathrynwp- only two issues:
1. I can’t seem to find the original images on the larger ones, I can only seem to find the ones reduced down to 1000px wide. Where can I find the originals?
2. I have a link on most of the posts that says “See the full gallery on Posterous.” The goal here is to be able to shut down my Posterous site completely, so I don’t want those links (and want the original images available). I have over 1,500 posts, so I’m not going to manually edit them all.
Thanks for your help.
Hi there – we’d be glad to look into this for you.
Could you please provide a couple of links to example posts for both of these issues so our developers can have a look? Thanks.
These two posts illustrate both issues.
Thanks for these – I’ll pass them along to our developers and see what we can do.
I am still interested in moving from Posterous to WordPress, but am curious if the two issues can be resolved:
1) WordPress getting the original images.
2) Fixing where it doesn’t have “See Full Gallery on Posterous” on every photo post.
The goal is to migrate fully out of Posterous and shut it down, so I do not want links back to the Posterous nor the original files there.
Thanks for your help!
Hi there – One of our engineers has been working on sorting out the issues with your images. Issue (2) should definitely be possible, and we are still working on diagnosing and fixing issue (1). I’ll keep you posted here. Thanks for your patience.
I just wanted to let you know that our engineer is still working on your case. Since unfortunately it isn’t a simple fix, it’s taking a bit longer than we’d like. I’ll continue to keep you updated here.
This is a great follow-up. Thank you for paying attention to this one. Not only does it help me directly, I think it will help a large number of your potential users migrating from Posterous.
Now especially with Posterous’ announcement, this issue for me has escalated… and I believe it impacts a lot of other people who may have been heavy Posterous users wishing to migrate to WordPress.
How does this look on your end?
Have you noticed the yellow banner at the head of the forum?
I did not see that. Look! All updated. I’ll give it a shot. Thanks.
Sorry for our delay in getting back to you. Since your original request, we’ve released a new importer that uses an export file Posterous generates, and we’ve asked Posterous to specify the original images (rather than scaled images) in the export file.
Could you please try the import again using the new instructions? Once completed, please use search to see if the scaled image paths are still used.
Please let me know how it goes and if you need further assistance!
Giving it a shot now; now that I got my test blog cleared out! Thanks.
Well it looks like one issue is resolved, one isn’t resolved, and two new issues showed up:
The link to “See full gallery at Posterous” thing is resolved. Thanks.
1. The new importer still doesn’t seem to pull in the highest resolution images.
2. The in-line images seem to be of lower quality than before.
3. Any characters that are Hawaiian, Japanese, or even some apostrophes, now are “???”. This last issue appears to be caused by Posterous, not WordPress. But I presume this is impacting everyone WordPress is trying to pull from Posterous. I put in a support request with them, but as you know, they have no resources. Maybe you have a better solution or someone you can ping there?
Thanks for helping me out with this. It’s incredibly frustrating but I’m glad you folks are on my side.
P.S. I think I’ll need my site wiped again before I try another import. Feel free to do so at any time.
The topic ‘Importing my blog from Posterous didn't work in 24 hours’ is closed to new replies.