Is This Type of Migration Possible?
Good afternoon and thanks for taking the time to view this. I’ve been using Blogger for about 10+ years and am finally at my wits end with it. I’ve only kept it around for so long because it’s familiar and I’ve been a bit intimidated about the amount of work involved with migrating. While recently using WordPress for a few clients on a couple of jobs, I’ve finally come to see the light and now realize I need to migrate. However, my situation isn’t as clear cut as simply moving from Blogger to WordPress.
Here’s my situation:
– I currently run a website/blog called Queen City Discovery.
– The Blogger page is queencitydiscovery.blogspot.com
– I own two domain names in relation to that blog: queencitydisco.com and queencitydiscovery.com
– Both domain names currently just push to the “.blogspot” website.
– I also have my personal/portfolio website at ronnysalerno.com.
What I’d like to do:
– Migrate queencitydiscovery.blogspot.com to a new WordPress site that I’ll build out (this would server as the “blog” section).
– On that new WordPress site, I’d also build out my portfolios and other stuff not related to the ten years of blog posting.
– I’d like the new website to labeled as RonnySalerno.com, but I own that Domain through GoDaddy.
So, is it possible to migrate the blog over to a new WordPress site, combine that new WP site with my existing (non WP purchased) domain name and then just have the two other “Queen City” domain names point at the new site?
Any insight is greatly, greatly appreciated.
Hi there, that sounds like a good bit of work, but it really shouldn’t be that bad. You can map domain names that you have registered elsewhere to sites here at WordPress.com. You can choose which domain name you want as the one on your site here and then you can set domain forwards for the other domains so that everyone will end up on your site at WordPress.com. The domain forwards will happen at the registrar(s) of the domains.
If I’m understanding correctly, you are wanting to merge your personal/portfolio website into the new ronnysalerno.com site that you will have here, is that correct? If so, you can map ronnysalerno.com domain and then forward your blog domains to this domain at the registrar.
Let me know if that all sounds right, or if I missed anything.
Thanks for your time and guidance, much appreciated!
Your summary is correct. I think I mainly just needed to type it out and hear myself say it haha. That’s exactly what I’m trying to do and am glad to know it will work. Now I just need to purchase WordPress and get started on building out the new site before I bring everything over.
Thank you again!
The topic ‘Is This Type of Migration Possible?’ is closed to new replies.