Mapping from main to subdomain

  • Author
    Posts
  • #1424651

    bkrone
    Member

    Hello,

    Our website is currently mapped as lvib.org and the mapping needs to change to www1.lvib.org (yes, www1).
    Three questions:
    a) Is it possible? (because www. is not possible)
    b) Does this require new mapping for $13/year?
    c) Will all the links (page links, <link> tags, meta tags etc.) update accordingly?

    The last question is probably a stupid one, but seeing all these absolute URLs makes me nervous.

    Thanks for all your help in advance!

    The blog I need help with is lvib.org.

    #1424752

    auxclass
    Member

    I flagged this for the staff to take a shot at it

    A) Maybe, as long as part of the internet does not have a “www1” as part of the address protocol

    B) ask nice like and maybe the staff will transfer the mapping to the new address – I think they will

    C) the links will update, but I am not sure what will happen with search engine links and other links from outside since they would go to lvib.org and you will probably have some content at that address

    Lets see how close I came after the staff reviews this

    What will you have at lvib.org (the root) after the sub-domain mapping? will it be hosted here at WordPress.COM or on your own host?

    #1424754

    bkrone
    Member

    Hi Auxclass,

    I need to ‘split out’ a separate mobile site, hence the subdomain for the main site, plus of course another subdomain for the mobile site. Not ideal, but all I can do since I cannot modify the code at wordpress.com.

    SEO is definitely a problem that needs to be resolved. I am currently trying to figure out a solution that includes device detection and 301 redirects with .htaccess. It’s tricky…

    Thanks for your help, looking forward to see what the staff says.

    #1424755

    auxclass
    Member

    A couple of more questions

    Will you be leaving the existing blog mapped to your root (lvib.org)?

    If so it will cost you another $ 13.– / year (you would have two mapped blogs)

    Are you creating a new blog and that new blog will be mapped as a sub-domain?

    Will you be moving some content from your existing blog to the new sub-domain?

    The new sub-domain will make your site look bigger so that should help SEO

    Not sure you can use .htaccess with any WordPress.COM blogs – I had some problems two years ago that getting into .htaccess would have solved (needed some redirects and block some directories)

    #1424843

    kardotim
    Member

    The domain mapping upgrade is not registered under your account. Please reply as the user that’s associated with this upgrade. This way we can verify the ownership and help you change the current domain mapping to www1. All links will also change accordingly.

    #1424854

    bkrone
    Member

    Hello Auxclass,
    Answering your questions:
    – lvib.org will not be mapped to wordpress.com anymore
    – no new blog will be created and no content will be moved
    It is all about mapping the entire wordpress.com blog to www1.lvib.org instead of lvib.org

    Hello Kardotim,
    I’ve been added as an admin to the site because I am currently doing all the technical stuff. If you want, I can ask someone else from lvib to chip in here to confirm my authorization, that’s all I can do. Who would you need to answer? There are three more admin roles in the blog and I actually don’t know who from your perspective is associated with the account. I will ask the lvib team as well.

    Thank you.

    #1424865

    kardotim
    Member

    If you want, I can ask someone else from lvib to chip in here to confirm my authorization, that’s all I can do. Who would you need to answer?

    Yes that would be great. ‘bradford0451’ owns the upgrade.

    #1424875

    Yes. Bkrone has authorization to make any changes necessary to any of the upgrades on the lvib.org wordpress site.

    Side question: Can the upgrades be transferred to a different WordPress account that has admin control over lvib.org, such as pattyporter? Or will that not be necessary once the site is migrated to a private host?

    #1424876

    kardotim
    Member

    Side question: Can the upgrades be transferred to a different WordPress account that has admin control over lvib.org, such as pattyporter? Or will that not be necessary once the site is migrated to a private host?

    If you want I can move the upgrades to a different account. Please let me know the username where you want me to move it to.

    Or will that not be necessary once the site is migrated to a private host?

    That depends on the upgrade.

    Just to double check, do you want me to change the domain mapping and replace it with www1.lvib.org. This means that lvib.org won’t work anymore.

    #1424877

    bkrone
    Member

    Hi Kardotim,

    Yes, it would be great if you could switch to www1., but please not immediately because we have to make sure that the dns settings on the other host are being changed at the same time. Otherwise the site will be surprisingly offline.
    Would it be possible that you do the switch at a determined day/time?

    #1424879

    kardotim
    Member

    Would it be possible that you do the switch at a determined day/time?

    Sure when? Note that DNS changes can take up to 48 hours until they are fully propagated.

    #1424881

    bkrone
    Member

    Wonderful! Would tomorrow 9pm work for you?

    #1424887

    kardotim
    Member

    Sure, what time zone are you in?

    Cheers.

    #1424888

    bkrone
    Member

    Ah.. of course I forgot. Eastern time. So 9pm EST.

    #1424889

    kardotim
    Member

    We’ll make it happen! Thanks.

    Note that you’ll need to revert the name server records in your domain registrar control panel. You’ll also need to add a CNAME record for www1 that points to lighthousepasco2.wordpress.com

    Hope this helps – let us know if you have any more questions!

    #1424891

    bkrone
    Member

    Awesome, thank you so much.

    #1424906

    bkrone
    Member

    Hello again,
    Just wanted to make sure this is in the works. We are waiting here to update the dns on the other servers.

    Thank you

    #1424907

    bkrone
    Member

    unfortunately it looks like this isn’t happening at the moment.
    please don’t do the switch in the middle of the night when we’re not present.
    can you instead do it tomorrow evening at 7pm EST?

    #1424908

    kardotim
    Member

    Sorry for the minor delay. I have not changed it as requested but will do at 7pm EST.

    Thank you.

    #1424910

    bkrone
    Member

    Ok, thank you. We’ll be ready at 7pm as well..

The topic ‘Mapping from main to subdomain’ is closed to new replies.