wanting to migrtate everything possible from http://sspaint.wordpress.com to my own server at scottsmithpaing.com/blog. Have no idea where or how to start.
Need help? Check out our Support site, then
Migrating to own server
I would start with choosing the blogging software and installing it on my own server. (see: http://wordpress.org/download/)
Then I would look for a nice theme and adjust is to suit my needs.
After that, I would go to my wordpress.com blog under Manage > Export and export my contents. Then I would import them in my brand new blog, move all my images, repair the broken links and import my blogroll from the wordpress.com blog.
thanks, I followed your directions but it did not import anything from the blog I'm trying to import from....where did I go wrong?
To import from a WordPress export file into a WordPress blog follow these steps.
1. Log into that blog as an administrator.
2. Go to Manage: Import in the blog's admin panels.
3. Choose "WordPress" from the list.
4. Upload this file using the form provided on that page.
5. You will first be asked to map the authors in this export file to users on the blog. For each author, you may choose to map to an existing user on the blog or to create a new user
6. WordPress will then import each of the posts, comments, and categories contained in this file into your blog
when i export to the xml file, it's only 3kb..it doesn't contain the information(posts, etc) that I want to transfer...but I will try the above suggestions now and report back...thanks for helping out...
Where did you export from? You have to do the exporting in the dashboard of the wordpress.com blog and the importing in the new one. You have around 30 posts, so it should be a little bit more than 3 kb. If you did everything correctly but still have problems then contact support: http://wordpress.com/contact-support/
When I go into the dashboard on the site that I'm trying to migrate posts FROM, and I click on "MANAGE", it says "no posts found". Even though the page that directed me to "manage" had plenty of posts on it.
That's why when I create the file to import posts from to my new blogsite, there's nothing in it.
OK, try this link: http://sspaint.wordpress.com/wp-admin/export.php
if it does not work, then please contact support using the above mentioned address.
This topic has been closed to new replies.