need help with basic text formatting….
I haven’t posted much on my blog lately but am trying now to update it for planned changes in the garden for 2013. But I ‘m having problems with basic things wrt text formatting – I don’t remember having these problems before.
– Items in lists where there was no line space between bullet points now have a blank line between points.
– Fonts that are not the Theme default appear and I can see no way to change the text back to the Theme default font. I think the different font likely came on things copied from Word – but it’s not the font used in Word….
I have searched for help on both the specific issues as well as looked for general help on formatting text. But I can’t seem to find the help I need. Can someone please either tell me what to do or direct me to the right place? The blog is http://woodyoak.wordpress.com/ and I’ve been trying to update the chore schedule but have given up in frustration!
The blog I need help with is woodyoak.wordpress.com.
Blog editors and word processors are not the same and do not work the same way. The web standard is one blank line only, so you cannot add more blank lines by pressing return repeatedly like you would do with a typewriter or in a word processing application. If you want to learn how to format and space your posts and pages see:
If you are working in the Visual editor, to get single spacing between paragraphs hold the SHIFT key down and simultaneously click ENTER at the end of the paragraph.
If you are working in the HTML (Text) editor, a single click of ENTER will give you a single-spaced line, and two clicks of ENTER will result in double spaced lines. http://onecoolsitebloggingtips.com/2011/09/13/wordpress-formatting-and-spacing/
P.S. When you create a new post, always make sure the Format tool is set to Paragraph before you start typing. It’s in the Visual editor Row 2 first position “style”. See the illustration here http://en.support.wordpress.com/visual-editor/#row-2 If you forget to do that then edit the post, highlight all in the Visual editor, select Paragraph from the Format tool, switch editor to Text then switch back to Visual and click Update.
These are 3 ways to change fonts on wordpress.com blogs.
(1) Changing font families, colors and size in text in posts or pages either post by post or page by page by coding into the HTML editor. http://en.support.wordpress.com/editors/font-size-color/
(2) Changing font colors in text in posts or pages either post by post or page by page using the #4 icon (Select text color – change the text color) in Row 2 the Visual editor. http://en.support.wordpress.com/visual-editor/#row-2
(3) Changing all font families, colors and sizes throughout the whole blog by purchasing an annually renewable Custom Design upgrade and using Typekit Fonts with Staff support. http://en.support.wordpress.com/custom-design/
Note: A few themes do provide for changing font color in the Blog Title and/or optional Tagline and/or links. In the majority of themes font changes to font families, colors and size in the blog title, tagline, menu, post titles, page titles, categories and tags, widget headings, comments and links cannot be done without purchasing an annually renewable custom design upgrade and doing the required CSS editing. http://wpbtips.wordpress.com/2009/03/24/color-customisable-themes/
Fonts that are not the Theme default appear and I can see no way to change the text back to the Theme default font. I think the different font likely came on things copied from Word – but it’s not the font used in Word….
see also: WORD and WordPress http://onecoolsitebloggingtips.com/2011/09/12/word-and-wordpress/
Thanks – it looks like I need to do some reading on that blog of yours….
I’m not trying to add blank lines – I’m trying to remove them! I’l try the shift thing – when I’m sufficiently less annoyed to attempt more work on the blog… :)
Re fonts…. You might know there’d be something you have to pay for that would fix a problem on a ‘free’ site!
‘timethief’ is a great name! Doing this mucking around on blogs etc. is sure stealing my time too!
Not to worry as justpi is a coding whiz and he will come along, read your source code and provide specific coding answers.
P.S. I took this username years before the negative connotation was ascribed to it. I took it because I twice stole my life back from the grim reaper.
If you use Windows Live Writer instead of Word, you will find it works almost the same and saves you lots of time and problems.
The topic ‘need help with basic text formatting….’ is closed to new replies.