New to Blogging
Hi, I am new to blogging and have made several comments on my new blog. How soon will my comments go out to the world? Is there a way I can check to see if my blog is being viewed by the public? i’ve received no comments yet. Thank you very much for your help.
The blog I need help with is mrlnavy.wordpress.com.
This is a lengthy and very detailed answer so please bookmark it. I found your blog here http://mrlnavy.wordpress.com/ – well done.
(1) Find technorati http://www.technorati.com on the web. Register and create an account, claim your blog(s), tag them, and register your favorite blogs. You will find that the site has excellent instructions to help you work through all the steps.
(2) Also be sure to register your blog so you get the attention of search engines. It is said that Google’s directory comes straight from the DMOZ Directory so look into getting your blog site listed in it. The DMOZ has strict guidelines as to who is listed. Submission info can be made here http://www.dmoz.org/
“If your site has been accepted into the Open Directory, it may take anywhere from 2 weeks to several months for your site to be listed on partner sites which use the Open Directory data, such as AOL Search, Google, Netscape Search, Yahoo Search, and hundreds of other sites. We make updates of the data available weekly, but each partner has their own update schedule.”
You should *NOT* submit your site to Google, Yahoo, and MSN more than once every 30 days.
(a) Although Google says that manually submitting your pages to their index is unnecessary, they have an interface for you to do so. http:// http://www.google.com/addurl/ But don’t be surprised if it takes weeks for Google to acknowledge your site’s existence. Also register for a Google webmaster account http://tinyurl.com/5uhnzq
(b) MSN will seldom visit a website unless invited by submission. http://beta.search.msn.com/docs/submit.aspx
(c) Yahoo frequents sites more than MSN but less than Google but will dramatically increase visits after submission. http://siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com/submit
(3) If you have assigned categories and tags to your post they will already be appearing on the wordpress.com tag pages in order of the date/timestamp http://en.wordpress.com/tag/political-issues/
(4) The best way to get comments is to visit other blogs that are on subjects directly related to the subjects that you blog about and leave meaningful comments. When you do this the bloggers may reciprocate by clicking your username which will be linked to your blog and arriving on your blog.
(5) Here’s how to link your username to your blog in your blog Dashboard –> Users –> Your Profile. Then scroll down to where it says ‘Primary Blog‘ and fill in the address of your blog and then click ‘Update Profile‘.
Once you’re done click “Update Profile”. Voila! Now every time you sign into the forum we can all click on your username and your blog will be linked to it. And every time you leave a comment on a blog your username can be likewise clicked and your blog can be instantly located.
Note that there is a complete record of every post that you make to the forum on your forum profile page. Also note that when you mark a forum threads as “favorites” that you will find them listed on the forum profile page too. And everyone in the forum can access your forum profile by simply clicking on “Member” next to your username.
Best wishes for happy blogging.
Very informative, timethief. I didn’t know about the DMOZ Directory. Thanks.
I’ve already referred several other people to it. Brilliant stuff!
Thanks. It’s actually in a post on my blog but I was worried that if I posted the link to it here that I might be breaking a rule or something.
Thank you very much for your help timethief, I will follow what you’ve said and let you know how it went. Truly appreciate the help :-) smokeybones
Well, everyone else links to your blog; you might as well go ahead.
Okay then maybe I will. After all the bloggers who post here and others like them are the reason I have the blog. :)
When posting, how do you take edit out, next to the time?
You don’t. You can see it because you’re the owner and signed in, but nobody else can see it. If you don’t want to see it, sign out.
Thanks for the clear article – excellent and simple steps to follow.
Very helpful timethief, good for you
Excellent information. I am eager to see the results. -Oso
The topic ‘New to Blogging’ is closed to new replies.