Fantastic Vod:Pod now permits users from WordPress.com to DISPLAY embedded pdfs in an interactive iPaper format in a post on a blog. This has been possible since the 19. February 2008 when the amazing company Scribd launched iPaper from it's site. This brilliant Vod:Pod embed method also works for other types of documents if uploaded via Scribd’s formidable homepage. One of the these new possibilities is iFrame. Yes you got it right: we can now embed iFrames on WordPress.com. This WodPod/Scribd combination is a new feature with a giant wow effect!
This is what a pdf file embedded as an iPaper in a post looks like*:
The embed came from Scribd:
This is what to do:
1. Have Vod:Pod’s Beta Button installed. Otherwise embedding is not possible
2. Go to the site called Scribd and upload the document from the internet or your pc
3. When uploaded you can choose to change the values for width and height at Scribds homepage so that the embed fit your blog
4. Wait for the little word "Done" - the animated green line stays active. Click "View document". Click the "Advanced" option on Scribds homepage right beside your new upload
5. Click the Vod:Pod button and click “Publish” in the Vod:Pod window that just opened
To do more editing after publishing on your own blog:
7. Click the code tab in rich editing to re-size the Scribd embed - change the values for width and height written in the middle of the code text
8. To remove the commercial links that sometimes appear: in edit you can click on the commercial links so that they get marked as inserted pictures would do. Cut the links out. They can’t be deleted letter by letter or by highlighting (block marking + delete)
9. Publish again
If your blog readers want to choose what text size to have displayed there are 3 ways:
10. Use the little icon in the top right corner of the embed to view the iPaper in full screen mode
11. Use the drop down slider feature in the embedded iPaper’s toolbar beside the magnifying glass icon
12. Deactivate the document by clicking somewhere on the blog outside the iPaper embed. Then hold the “Ctrl” key down and at the same time push the wheel on your mouse away from yourself. Reverse to get back to normal text size.
* The embedded iPaper in the blog post linked to above is the full candidate list for all parties in the Danish national election a few month ago. It is just an example.
Tip: the FAQs at Scribd have a lot to offer!