"is that what you want?"
This is going somewhat off topic, but:
1) I wasn't comparing YT with WP in every regard.
2) What's wrong with debate, as long as it's intelligent? I think we're having one right here and now. :-)
3) My experience with YT has been positive, and I believe that the type of response has a lot to do with the kind of content that is posted.
4) It is no longer true that only kids use YT. The stats there show demographic breakdowns of the users of one's channel, and in case those aren't accurate, I've "met" people there (corresponded with them via pm etc). Many are my age, also academics etc.
5) Certainly one has to be logged in to "like" - but since this is true for both YT and WP, it is not relevant for the question at hand.
I'm mainly interested in movies, so my topics on YT are the same as on WP; the two platforms could even complement each other. I believe that it is possible to enjoy movies and discuss them intelligently. So I'm surprised at the extremely negative comments about YT here. Could it be that an old-fashioned prejudice of "images are dumb and words are intelligent" are at the root of this, even in the era of the internet? :-)