Page with select category posts
I have a very simple set up on my website, with wordpress. Homepage has my blog, then I have one extra page. On that 2nd page I want to have a specific category of posts show, but I also don’t want that category to show up on my homepage. Is this possible and if so how?
In other words, I want just my photography on my main page and my modeling on the second page.
Sincerity by the Sea,
The blog I need help with is haleywelsh.com.
There is always one running page in a blog where all posts are displayed. This is normally the front page of the blog. The Categories, tags and Archives pages are derived from thoseposts. You may create and assign another static page for your posts to display on rather than the front page if you wish > Settings > reading but you cannot eliminate the running page for posts.
Staff have provided this support documentation entry for those who want to structure their blog like a website which is what you want to do. > http://en.support.wordpress.com/using-wordpress-to-create-a-website/
What’s critical is to understand when creating a website structure is the following:
1. The differences between pages and posts > http://en.support.wordpress.com/post-vs-page/
2. There is only one dynamic page in a blog for posts and we cannot post to more than that one page. When we publish a post it automatically appears on the running page for posts and also on the Categories pages and Archives pages.
3. We organize our posts by assigning Categories to them. Although there is only one dynamic page in a blog for posts and we cannot post to more than that one page, we can create the appearance we have done so by creating a custom menu. In that custom menu you will be displaying Categories in tabs along the horizontal navigation to achieve what you want.
These are the how-to instructions:
1. You create a custom menu. http://en.support.wordpress.com/menus/
2. You add the Categories you want to display and arrange them in the order you want.
3. Then you add and drop and drag the sub-categories below the appropriate Categories, and when you have everything arranged in the menu that you want you save the menu.
4. Go to the “theme location” module at upper left on the menu page. Select your custom menu name from the pull-down labeled “primary location.” Click the save button in that module.
Note: If you wish you can also include pages and sub-pages of your own choice and custom links in your custom menu as well.
I’d recommend you to create the blog with only two categories in that case:-
Now Create a custom Menu with:
1. Custom Link, Label: Home, URL: <Category Page that shows Photography posts>
2. A Category Link that shows all ‘Modelling’ posts
Hope that helps. Cheers!
The topic ‘Page with select category posts’ is closed to new replies.