Pictures

• Author

I’ve been using different pictures. They look fine when I set them, but sometimes they are out of focus or only part of the picture when I look at the blog. How do I control this?

The blog I need help with is cultureclayblog.wordpress.com.

Hey there!

I’m taking a look at your blog, and what immediately comes to mind is low image file size and quality.

Images can look great when they’re small, but when you put them on a blog or website and they’re stretched and expanded, they begin to either get pixelated or blurry. I know some of the photos are stock photos from wp.com, and unfortunately I’m not sure how to help you with that except to suggest you use a different photo.

The best thing to do is when you use photos, make sure the dimensions are large enough to maintain sharpness as you increase the size of the monitors.

I’m happy to discuss this further if you have any questions or you would like some more clarification!

Hi, spunkyadverturess:

I figured it was something like that. My problem is I don’t know what the correct size is. I’m sure there’s something somewhere that explains this, but I don’t know where it is.

Do you know what size I should be using? Or is there a certain DPI that is required?

CultureClayBlog

Pictures can be finicky things. The primary thing you need for web is file dimension size, though I don’t recommend images under 72dpi. (DPI becomes more important for print, less for web.)

For dimension sizes, I recommend a width of at least 1000px. You can put it in a viewer and put it at 100% to assure that the image will look good when it’s on the site. If you have your own photos, I typically make web-images at 1000-1500px in width (which is what will stretch your images on webpages) and I’ll put my dpi between 72-150dpi depending on if it’s going on social media or my website.

If you’re taking images from the web, please make sure you are using are public domain to avoid any copyright issues, or at the very least, give credit and a link to the photographer. It will help you avoid most legal issues.

You can do an advanced search on google, and it will help you filter the images that fit the parameters you need. It can filter image size (ex: larger than 800×600 would be a good place to start) and usage rights.

Does this help? If not, or you have any additional questions, let me know!

This certainly helps. I don’t get to write my blog often, but the next time I do, I will do the best I can to follow your advice. I do take images from the web, but I try to ensure they aren’t copyrighted. I assume they would be marked if they were!

If you ever need help with photos, feel free to let me know! I’ve spent way too much time delving into sizes, resolutions, and copyrights for my business, and can answer probably 99% of any questions you have.

That is very kind of you. My plan is to blog tomorrow, and I’ll see if I still have problems. Do I correctly understand that “px” is “pixels”?

timethief

I see image issues on your site and have typed modlook into the sidebar tags on this thread for a Staff follow-up. How do I get a Moderator/Staff reply for my question? https://en.support.wordpress.com/getting-help-in-the-forums/#how-do-i-get-a-moderatorstaff-reply-for-my-question Also subscribe to this thread so you are notified when they respond and be patient while waiting. To subscribe look in the sidebar of this thread, find the subscribe to topics link and click it.

Hey, @cultureclayblog!

Yes, “px” is “pixels”. You can get more detailed information by looking up support for your theme, and it will give you the dimensions that fit best for your particular theme.

Thank you, both (spunkyadventuress and timethief). I am getting ready to attempt another blog this morning. We’ll see how it goes.

supernovia
    Staff

Hi folks :) This thread was tagged for staff help but it looks like you all have things figured out.

So just as a recap:

– You can find your theme’s dimensions here. Personally I’d go ahead and using images twice that size.
    https://wordpress.com/theme/libretto/

– Bear in mind, featured images become part of the layout and can be cropped to fit, depending on your theme and the screen size and what not. If you need to be sure an image won’t be cropped at all, you can add it in the content section.

– Best to have explicit permission to use images. We have several resources… too many individual articles to list, but this may help:
    https://dailypost.wordpress.com/?s=images
    https://dailypost.wordpress.com/?s=photos

Great teamwork here, folks! And good work on the blog, @cultureclayblog! If you have more questions, let us know.

The topic ‘Pictures’ is closed to new replies.