Please Reinstate the Option of Choice to Use the Old Publishing Format

• Author

thewallpaperlady says:

Maybe I shouldn’t say this, for fear of bringing it to fruition, but my biggest fear is that WP will eliminate the Classic Editor altogether.

That seems to be inevitable. I provided a partial solution earlier. You can start a blog at WordPress.org, but you don’t have to move everything over there. Just use their editor as a utility to draft your posts — it’s the classic version — then copy them here and post them. That way you can ignore Beep Beep Boop, and you won’t have the burden of moving and maintaining a blog somewhere else. It’s not a perfect solution, because it doesn’t easily solve the problem of editing your older posts, but it’s better than anything else I can think of.

I simply want to join the many people here in asking that WordPress continue giving us a convenient option of using the old editor. It’s clear that by making it increasingly difficult to access the old version, they’re trying to force us to bend to WordPress’s failed expectations for the new one.

Somewhere at WordPress HQ, a staffer is briefing a boss with a chart showing increased (coerced) use of the new editor and saying, “Look, they’re really warming up to it now!”

apetcher

@tpenguinltg
    Jeremy Duvall provides no help at all and doesn’t intend to.
    For me the basic issue is this – why implement a change/upgrade that hasn’t been tested, takes away functionality and makes no improvement to the product? I appreciate being able to use the blogging platform but the people running and developing it are complete amateurs. I would sack them all for gross incompetence including Jeremy Duvall!

occu77

The link you refer to was removed about eleven days ago, not six months. They don’t have to write the code. The issue is not inability to write code.

That was obviously a hyperbolic reaction to the fact that this was an entirely self-created problem that could have been avoided altogether and could have been resolved immediately.

WordPress has not previously (since July 2014) acknowledged that the classic editor is a “vastly superior editor.” It is not presently acknowledging that to be the case, and likely will not in the near future acknowledge it. That is our problem.

I don’t need WordPress to tell me it’s a vastly superior editor. I’ve worked with many editors and I, and so many of the others on this thread have made that deduction for themselves, as adults are prone to do. I was comparing the Classic Editor, which is vastly superior, and obviously so (higher functionality is obviously superior), to the supposedly “improved posting experience” of the vastly inferior new editor. See how I did that? Compare and contrast.

The very same thing with the link. They removed it and the resolution as I’ve already stated is a simple one – either reinstate the old link, or write a new and superior link that’s even easier to sue and easier to find.

What we definitely don’t need to do is argue among ourselves (as many before me have also said) about the minutiae of our own (ultimately accurate, though individualistically stated) observations.

We should, of course, be concentrating all of our fire on those who both unnecessarily created this problem, and those who can successfully resolve it.

Allies with a single objective should not be engaging in friendly fire but instead concentrating their ordinance upon the actual objective. That’s how you take ground. You wither the target, not pointlessly tax your allies.

But Truth be told, this tendency to run amok on the field and fire at anyone (friend or foe) whose insignia is not exactly like your own is a very Geekish habit, and Geeks love a good argument, even if it is a pointless and totally meaningless one with answers they could have easily deduced for themselves. Like adults.

Thus here we are engaged in entirely pointless border skirmishes with each other when the Real Target is right over there, and obviously and observationally in freaking Front of Us.

This is not hard to do boys and girls. It’s been done countless times before. Concentrate your fire. Fire at your actual target, and wither it into submission, thereby pushing on to Victory.

Which I though was the whole point of this Exercise.

Or some of you could continue to devolve into exactly the same type of unabashed and uninformed and unnecessary argumentative Geekery that caused this problem in the first place thereby greatly diluting your chances of success.

Thus, once again, here we are.

As for me, watch this:

“Hey WordPress, you’ve produced a vastly inferior editor in the new editor and you have a vastly superior editor in the Classic Editor. You’ve also created an entirely unnecessary problem by limiting the means by which one can access the vastly superior Classic Editor. You also have an incredibly simple set of solutions that can be quickly resolved by simply reinstating the previously link to the Classic Editor or by creating a set of even better and improved links to the same. I look forward to you growing out of your stubborn and immature peevishness and simply honestly acknowledging the problems you have created for yourselves in these matters, and thereby resolving them in the best manner possible. Which should be immediately. As adults do.”

See how easy that was my friends and allies? I concentrated my fire on the target.

Like adults do.

wpvins, tpenguinltg
    thank you.
    I already knew about the dashboard way but it’s a pity WP keeps things so complicated knowing well their users are fed up with the piece of shit they imposed as a new editor.

apetcher

@occu77
    Brilliant – well said!

tpenguinltg

@occu77 @apetcher
    I second that!

swittersb

Please bring back the Classic Editor! And, please stop changing things seemingly just because…like logging out…3 modes of logging out in two months. The original was just fine too!

Gary @ SwittersB & Exploring

wpvins

in a different thread, there is are two interesting comments by thimethief:

Over a year of Staff time have been devoted to this project of developing an in-house editor. Clearly, they believe restoring the classic editor link to the new editor would defeat their purpose which is to promote the new editor. We have reached a juncture where disgruntled end users have to accept that reality and move on.

and

It is over. The link will not be restored. We end users who prefer using the classic editor must each make a choice about where we are hosted and how to move on after accepting the reality that it’s over.

That, to my mind, sums up how “valuable” we users are to WP: take it [our high-handed attitude] or leave it [blogging via WP]. We’re NOT INTERESTED in you as (our) customers.

musicdoc1

@ occu77,

I don’t need WordPress to tell me it’s a vastly superior editor.

That misses the point I was making entirely. I never suggested that you couldn’t or shouldn’t be able to decide for yourself which is the better editor. I only pointed out that acknowledging the classic editor is superior not something WordPress has done recently, does now, or is likely to do in the near future. The gap between our estimation of the comparative value of the two editors and theirs is the issue.

apetcher

@wpvins
    Very accurate assessment. they don’t want people who write things and block up the servers they want people who post things with a single sentence or an uploaded picture from their smart phone. Very sad!

musicdoc1

@ occu77,

I was comparing the Classic Editor, which is vastly superior, and obviously so (higher functionality is obviously superior), to the supposedly “improved posting experience” of the vastly inferior new editor. See how I did that? Compare and contrast.

That’s not comparison and contrast. It’s circular reasoning, presuming as proven what you should aim to prove through supportive evidence.

…Geekish habit, and Geeks love a good argument…unnecessary argumentative Geekery…

Name-calling is among the lowest forms of argument.

When creating a new post, I use the old editor. There, I can select specific aspects of my template and I can see the revision history. But when viewing a post, if I click “Edit”, then the new editor always opens and none of these functionalities are available. There must be a very good reason for this diverse behaviour but I can’t see it.

How can always use the old editor, even when editing from the blog front page?

musicdoc1

I look forward to you growing out of your stubborn and immature peevishnessAs adults do.
    This is just ad hominem argument, attacking the character of the opponent.

musicdoc1

Correction:
    @ occu77 (post 2327332),

I look forward to you growing out of your stubborn and immature peevishnessAs adults do.

This is just ad hominem argument, attacking the character of the opponent.

@fliscorno, see a previous comment https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/please-reinstate-the-option-of-choice-to-use-the-old-publishing-format/page/17?replies=531#post-2322624. This explains how to add a user script that allows editing and making a new post with only the classic editor.

@dandelionsalad, thanks. I saw it, I was hopping there was some other way I was missing.

timethief

There is no other way. You either bookmark, use the bookmarlet, or install the script.

The Classic Editor will continue to exist in wp-admin. We know some users prefer to use this editor, so we want you to have access to it, instead of phasing it out with the new version of the Dashboard. However, a link to the Classic Editor will not return to the New Editor. From: https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/when-editing-an-old-post-how-do-i-switch-to-the-classic-editor?replies=5#post-2316097

For the classic editor bookmark Dashboard > Posts > Add New

Staff removed the link in the new editor to the classic editor but there are two workarounds that can be used found here:
    https://tpenguinltg.wordpress.com/2015/03/14/a-hack-to-use-the-classic-editor-in-wordpress-com/
    https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/please-reinstate-the-option-of-choice-to-use-the-old-publishing-format/page/17?replies=507#post-2322624

timethief

Edit: bookmarlet was meant to be bookmarklet.

timethief

@jeremeylduvall
    This thread was created March 13th. We have known since March 18th that the link Classic Editor will not return to the New Editor. Has this thread reached it’s end as a useful one? I’m asking because those who have not posted here previously have to scroll and through 22 pages of dialog to find what they want to know. And, what they want to know is here https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/please-reinstate-the-option-of-choice-to-use-the-old-publishing-format/page/22?replies=636#post-2327762

The topic ‘Please Reinstate the Option of Choice to Use the Old Publishing Format’ is closed to new replies.