Point domain name to another site
Hi. We are trying to point our domain physicsinfive.com to another site we are building. We have been told that the way to do this is by changing the A record or the CNAME. Is that possible?
Look forward to your reply,
-Chase & Anthony
Blog url: http://physicsinfive.wordpress.com
The blog I need help with is physicsinfive.com.
Does your new provider offer nameservers? That would be significantly easier (and industry-standard). If they do, you can change your nameservers following this guide: http://en.support.wordpress.com/domain-mapping/domain-management/#update-nameservers
Thanks for the reply. No they do not. Here is a direct reply from them [Subhub]
“We do not host domain names (we are not a registra), which means we cannot provide new nameservers settings. Hopefully WordPress will just let you change the A record and continue to use their nameservers.
If not you will need to transfer your domain to a service such as http://www.godaddy.com.”
Ok, you’ll need to use the DNS Manager to change your A record.
In order to use DNS Manager, the name servers will need to be updated.
To set the A record, please try these steps:
1. First, log into your Domain Manager by following the instruction of the “Domain Manager Login” section here:
2. Once you’re logged in, click on the domain name you want to edit.
3. Under Nameservers, click on “Set Nameservers”.
4. In the pop-up window, select “I have specific nameservers for my domains”.
5. Replace any name servers listed with the following:
6. Click on OK to save, wait a few minutes for the settings to go through, and then refresh the page.
7. When the nameservers change, you’ll see some information under DNS Manager, and a link that says “Launch” – click that link to edit your DNS records.
8. The A record of your domain should be listed as the first record on the list. In the Actions columns on the left, click on the pencil/notepad icon to edit the record (make sure you click on the icon for the same line that the A record is on).
9. Finally, use the information provided to your by your new host to fill out the “Host Name” and “Points To IP Address”. The field labeled “TTL” should stay in the default “1 Hour” value. Click on OK to save the new record.
That’s it – your new A record should go live after a short delay.
Thank you so very much. Will give this a try!
The topic ‘Point domain name to another site’ is closed to new replies.