Posting a PDF
I am trying to post a PDF to my blog. I am using the post media tool, browsing to find the file, selecting it, it says “crunching”, then the screen where you can enter your title, description etc comes up. When I complete the process and view the blog, there is only text of the title of the document. I tried to upload again and notice my space used went up, so It appears to be uploading, I just dont know how to get it to show up correctly in the blog. Can you help?
The blog I need help with is kmckeeth.wordpress.com.
The site linked to your username is not a wordpress.COM blog.
If you are talking about a blog hosted here on wordpress.COM, then always include a link to the blog when asking questions (or change the URL linked to your username to your wordpress.COM blog).
Okay, I am having the same problem. I do have a wordpress blog and when I use the media tool, the pdf I am uploading comes up as just text. I tried changing the URL but because I don’t have the pdf file on another website that isn’t going to work.
The first thing to remember is that wordpress.COM does not have a built-in PDF interpreter, so it will not show the contents of a PDF in a post or page on your blog.
This is the way I’ve found easiest to insert a link to a PDF when I want a line of text in the post or page to be the link for to the PDF.
1. start the post or page that you are going to put the link to the pdf into
2. go to “add an image” and upload the PDF
3. click on the “file URL” button, then copy the URL that shows up in the “link URL” field and close that window without inserting it
4. go to the post, highlight the text that you want to use as the link
5. click the “link” icon in the toolbar and paste in the URL of the PDF you got in step 3 and click insert.
If the file has already been uploaded I do the following
1. start the post or page in the editor
2. go to either “add an image”, then click on the “media library tab at the top of the insert media window
3. click on “all types” at the top left of that window so it will show all file types instead of just images
4. click on the “show” link for the PDF
5. copy the file URL out of the “link URL field
6. go to the post, highlight the text that you want to use as the link
7. click the “link” icon in the toolbar and paste in the URL of the PDF you got in step 5 and click insert.
The topic ‘Posting a PDF’ is closed to new replies.