private theme providers suitable for WP.com?
I’ve seen that there are some private providers of themes were you can download and use them (e.g. woothemes.com). What I would like to know if they can be used in wordpress.com or I should then shift to wordpress.org.
The blog I need help with is ekonomicus.com.
The answer is “no”. The only themes we can use on free hosted WordPress.com blogs like your blog are the themes found here http://wordpress.com/themes/
There is no FTP access to free hosted WordPress.com blogs and we cannot upload any third party themes, create child themes or our own themes or edit templates.
There is no upgrade you can purchase that changes that. Please read > http://support.wordpress.com/com-vs-org/
WordPress.org offers free software that you can install on a web server. You can upload and install themes and plugins, run ads, and edit the database. Learn about the differences here. http://support.wordpress.com/com-vs-org/
Also note that premium themes and all upgrades provided through WordPress.,COM can only be used on free hosted WordPress>COM blogs and no others.
To move your content you need to create an XML export file of your content.
WordPress.com and WordPress.org are completely separate.
1. Hire a web host http://wordpress.org/hosting/
3. Export your content out of your WordPress.com blog http://en.support.wordpress.com/export/ and import it into the install.
4. Purchase a site redirect upgrade from wordpress.com
http://en.support.wordpress.com/site-redirect/ or if you have domain mapping then update the nameservers http://en.support.wordpress.com/domains/domain-management/
5. Transfer subscribers and stats. See http://en.support.wordpress.com/moving-a-blog/moving-your-subscribers/
6. Set your wordpress.com blog visibility to private. To change blog visibility to private go to > Settings > Reading scroll to Blog Visibility and choose option 3 . See the guide here http://en.support.wordpress.com/settings/privacy-settings/
Alternatively you can purchase a Guided Transfer and Staff will do the move and set up for you http://en.support.wordpress.com/guided-transfer/
NOTE: WordPress.com and WordPress.org have different log-ins and run different versions of themes with same names. If you don’t have a username account at WordPress.ORG click http://wordpress.org/support/ and register one on the top right hand corner of the page that opens, so you can post to the support forums there and receive advice from WordPress.ORG bloggers.
I see… thanks a lot!
You’re welcome and best wishes.
The topic ‘private theme providers suitable for WP.com?’ is closed to new replies.