Need help? Check out our Support site, then

Problem with LaTeX in some posts

  1. I'm having a puzzling problem including a LaTeX equation in a post. I have it in a sample post (HTML below), and it works fine. I cut and paste the '$latex ... $' portion into another, longer draft, and I get "Formula does not parse". If I then cut and paste it from the second post (where it didn't work) back into the first (where it did), it works again.

    Here's the complete first post:
    <br /> Here is some text stuff:<br /> $latex s = \sqrt{ \frac{\sum_{i=1}^n (x_i - \bar{x})^2}{n-1} } $<br /> Some more stuff<br /> $latex s = \sqrt{ \frac{\sum_{i=1}^n (x_i - \bar{x})^2}{n-1} } $<br />

    Does anyone have any suggestions about what might cause this?

    The blog I need help with is

  2. This isn't gonna help. I copied and pasted your code in a new post. It worked perfectly. I opened an older post of mine with LaTeX codes and pasted your code, and it worked perfectly. There is nothing wrong with the code... I'm sure you already knew that. I did change the \frac to \dfrac and I liked the larger fraction better.
    I wished when I used LaTex, it didn't look so out of place with the rest of my posts.


  3. rich, we can't give you specific guidance without a link to your blog, starting with http.

  4. Sorry, the posting form asked for the blog URL, and I supplied it. Didn't realize it wouldn't show up with the post. Anyway, here it is:

  5. One thing I have noticed is that sometimes WordPress strips the slashes from LaTex markup. (At least, that's what happened to a draft I was working on today at I think that whatever program they have watching out for javascript gets confused and interferes with the LaTex stuff.

    Once it was so bad that I had to go back through my archives and correct every post I'd ever used a fraction in. Frustrating! It hasn't happened for quite awhile, but it hit me today with some parentheses...Hmm, I wonder if I need to look through my back posts again...

  6. Whatever the mechanism is that vets the content (perhaps the JavaScript check, as you said) seems to be pretty fragile. I tried taking a formula in a draft post that worked, and then edited it to put in a (deliberate) error. It failed to parse, no surprise there. But when I went back and removed the error (3 characters), it still didn't work.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic