Publicize to Twitter – 280 characters

• Howdy! :) With the switch over by Twitter to allow 280 character tweets, will WordPressdotcom be adjusting/updating Publicize so users can take advantage of this change?

Thanks for any insight.

• Hey there,

It has been a popular request since Twitter updated the character limit. There has been an official request made for our developers to update this particular feature and they are currently working on it. I’ll keep you informed on any update I hear in regards to this. Thanks!

• Thanks @darnelldibbles. Looking forward to the update.

• Hi all-Just checking in to ask if there is an update on this. Thanks.

Right now I was able to add close to 95 characters in the twitter message box in Calypso, in spite of it saying I have 55 characters left. Can’t say yet how the tweet was actually sent because I haven’t sent it yet. :)

• Hey there!

I checked the request and there hasn’t been any announcement of the fix quite yet. I should receive a notification when there are any updates, and I’ll be sure to post in this thread once I get them. Thanks for checking!

• Bumping this thread to get more updates! Just publicized on Twitter earlier on my blog and it cut it off at a pretty small number. Looks like the hosted WordPress sites haven’t updated the limit yet.

• Hi there g3daddylee – We’ll get an update when there is one. :) When I asked my above question I was just curious. It would be a nice feature to have, but not really critical.

Regardless, do you find that not being able to use the full 280-character tweets has negatively impacted your blogging? Again, curious. Thanks.

• Well that’s a little dramatic but I like writing little messages with my posts. Less than 100 characters is extremely limiting, particularly when trying to use hashtags that are lengthy.

I’d say it’s negatively impacted my Twitter posting of new article notifications, because I can’t use the appropriate hashtags!

• @darnell just noticed that the latest update to jetpack mentioned supporting 280-character tweets in Publicize. Any news here? Thanks.

• Looks like it sort-of works now. The limit is set to 55 before you start typing, but then it jumps up to 93 characters remaining after you begin typing. Works for me – thanks!!

• Not happening for me.

I created a test tweet on twitter and included a test post link, and the tweet barely got to 1/2 of the 280-characters limit. I then pasted the tweet without the post link into the twitter customize your message box on the post itself and I was way over the number of characters allowed there.

Still waiting for some good news.

• Hey all! Sorry – was out sick. The reason you may have saw it and now no longer see it was because it was temporarily available. Here is what a developer mentioned:

This (Twitter to 280 characters) was changed in Jetpack in, but unfortunately we made the change a bit too early as the part of Publicize that lives on WordPress.com is not ready to be deployed yet.

We’ll update this issue once the 280 chars are available everywhere, for everyone.

It looks like we’re getting closer, though. I will keep you all updated once I hear more.

Thanks!

• Thanks for checking in @darnell. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

• Commenting here to stay apprised of updates on this issue (is there a way to follow the thread without leaving a junk comment like this)?

• Hi there, You can subscribe to any forum thread without leaving a comment when you are logged in to your WordPressdotcom account.

In the forum thread sidebar you will see a link to “subscribe to this topic” just above the feed link button and the note whether this topic is resolved or not. When you subscribe, you will receive an email each time someone replies to this thread, like you probably did just now. :)

Hope that helps.

• Great! Learned something new today. Thanks for your help.

• Hi! I’d love to know if there is any news about the 280 characters limit.
    Thanks,

I wish everyone to have a good holiday season!

• Hi francisuniverse,

We don’t have any news just yet but we will post an update here when we do :)

• The topic ‘Publicize to Twitter – 280 characters’ is closed to new replies.