I want a refund on my guided transfer. I purchased it weeks ago. It hasn’t taken place. I’ve gotten no information via email. My web site is hanging and I need for it to be operational NOW. If you don’t refund I will dispute it on my credit card.
I have issued a full refund for your purchase. Please allow several days before the funds are available on your card. I apologize for the delay. Have you been able to move your site to your self-hosted servers yourself?