Need help? Check out our Support site, then

Removing the scrollbar from the post editor one of the worst "improvements" yet

1. @ wildbow
    Re: item 4. in your above list

Do you know if this this a bug? Intended?

No, I don't know if it is intended or not.

Because page up and page down are very easy, measured ways to progress up and down the page, allowed by virtually any client, forum, writing document, etc.

I would have to agree that this feature should be functional and easily available, without unnecessary delays to activate it.

2. @ wildbow,

For the record, in the midst of my testing here, I also just had the white space appear for the first time for me, with the toolbars at the top of the edit window migrating to the middle, blocking my view of the text.

Did those effects (white space, and migrating toolbar) occur while using the proofreader, the proofread button? Diaryofdennis described these effects, here. And I later produced these same two effects by simply pressing the proofead button while in text mode.

3. I touched no buttons - I was in visual mode in the 'new post' text editor. It happened naturally with regular moving of the window, paging up and down while outside the textbox. I couldn't remedy it with further page ups & downs and use of the scrollbar. I didn't want to submit or schedule the post in question, nor did I want to copy the text, refresh, and paste the text back in, because I've had trouble with formatting after pasting text into the editor window, especially since the recent change.

4. I should have read more closely. You said, said the toolbars were migrating to the middle,

toolbars at the top of the edit window migrating to the middle, blocking my view of the text.

whereas both diaryofdennis and I had the toolbars migrate to left side of the window. I just did it again and noticed that it does block some text.

I never heard of the extension Nuke 'em All, but why would it remove your toolbar(s)? Were you able to save your work, a draft?

5. Nuke 'em all is a Firefox addon that lets you right click and decide to 'nuke' an element in the browser window. Useful for intrusive popups, annoying banners/autoplaying videos or (as in this case) UI elements that are in the way.

I had no need to save my work as I didn't have to refresh, but I've been backing it up to be safe, as per usual.

6. I presume the toolbar will come back when you log off and log back into WordPress, or perhaps by refreshing the browser.

7. Yes, or you can just rightclick and 'undo last remove'. It's just a handy tool for web browsing, having control over webpages you're using.

Getting back on topic, the lack of control over ~this~ is really making what should be a fantastic writing day into a chore. 1k words ahead of my usual for this time of night, and I'm at the editing phase, and it's just a clumsy exercise.

The annoying thing is (and I referenced my touchpad above, which evoked similar ideas) - I don't know that I agree that there's ways to work around this. This isn't a clumsy, awkward affair that I'll adapt to and work around. This is the kind of thing that's going to make me groan aloud until I stop using WordPress.

8. I understand. Never intended to suggest that every user ought to be able to adapt because I did. I don't do very much writing on my blogs, so the issues that writers encounter will be very different from those I'll encounter.

Also, please don't think that I'm advocating docile acceptance or resignation to this or other impractical, and seemingly nonsensical changes which WP thrusts upon us from time to time. I've been a vocal critic of this and several other modifications which WP has come out with in the past few years.

• The list view gallery editor of a few years ago was far easier to use than any of the versions since. Even with a gallery of 100 or more images you could scroll through thumbsized versions of them all in a couple of seconds, and rearrange them with ease by dragging and dropping. I think the major issue then was that only image could be deleted at a time.
    • Every change to the widget page made in the last few years: elongating, expanding the size of the widgets, increasing the width and length of the page's contents until we now have two endless columns of ever-expanding huge widgets, has made it more cumbersome, more difficult and slower to use. Each change has lengthened the task of finding and using widgets. We're reduced to dragging the widgets for miles now it seems. Each "improvement" has made it a more tedious, unappealing chore to visit the page.
    • About ago there was a mod which affected about 50% of the 9,000 or so images on my site, making them appear 2, 3, 4, sometimes 5 times the size at which they were set. The mod caused the initial uploaded size to override the chosen width and height settings. If you uploaded an image three years earlier at full size and then reduced it as desired, the image now showed as full size according to the new mod. Same with medium size, small, etc. To repair the damage of that single mod would have taken me hundreds of hours had not, after much bitching and moaning on my part, a kind WP staff member eventually come up with a tool that could remove all of the full size, medium size, etc. tags in seconds. I merely had to compose a list of the posts and pages I wanted treated.
    • No, I'm not a "work around" advocate.

9. Really need to hire a proofreader. I'm sure there are more errors, but here's one that stood out quickly:

"About ago" should have been "About a year ago."

10. As I think should be obvious to even the dimmest of Wp.com's developers, we do not want this "improvement" to be tweaked. We want it gone. Sod the tablet fetishism. No sane person blogs from a tablet. Seriously, roll this idiocy back now. And ban the contributors who came up with it and green lighted it from contributing again. They don't know what they're talking about.

11. Let's face it. Wp.com's devs exhibit the Dunning-Kruger effect in its full force. It never, NEVER crossed their minds that the scroll bar also acts as a "you are here" marker, indicating where we are in a long post. Then again' they'll say we can buy touch screens for our desktops. Bullshit. This may not be an option. Plus, it's silly using a touch screen on the desktop. It's a klutz. It's stupid. It's slow -slower than the Zilog Z80-grade brain of the devs who forced this crap down our throats.

Bring back the scrollbar NOW.

12. @musicdoc1: Thanks for reporting the bug regarding the Proofread button. I've just reported it and awaiting a fix.

13. @musicdoc1

http://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/removing-the-scrollbar-from-the-post-editor-one-of-the-worst-improvements-yet/page/7?replies=24#post-1964263

WORD!

[I haven't read all comments.] There is another problem: one cannot longer diminish the text editor in xxx.wordpress.com/wp-admin/post.php with the little triangle in the lower right side of the field, as it is here. I have to scroll and scroll an scroll ...

Very uncomfortable
    Vera

14. @ druesome,

Excellent. Thanks.

15. opalkatze,

I haven't read all comments.

We're waiting. :)

one cannot longer diminish the text editor in xxx.wordpress.com/wp-admin/post.php with the little triangle in the lower right side of the field

Thanks. Yes, this has been noted on page 1 of the thread, and later too. Didn't know the proper name, so I called it a "resizing tool," or "resizer."

I have to scroll, and scroll, and scroll.

It's the latest thing. The conceptualizer of this project believed all this scrolling would help us "Focus on editing, while editing." I'd forgotten to thank monaeberhardt for that link provided in a comment a few days ago.

16. @musicdoc1

Whohoo - @monaeberhardt is pretty blunt and damn right. Thank you for the links.

I just tried out https://wordpress.com/post/ - you can't edit older articles, you can't add tags, and you can't preview your new text. Absolutely disgusting.

17. What's the purpose of https://wordpress.com/post? Timethief was asking me about that at the beginning of the thread. Had no idea what she was talking about.

The restrictions you describe suggest that it's a tool designed for users with limited non-administrative roles, one that they might employ to contribute a post to your site without being able to access the rest of the blog. Just a guess.

18. Tabkey and Shift-Tabkey

Using the tabkey to get from the text area into the right hand meta area is a poor replacement for the old solution with the second scrollbar because the posting text is out of view
    und you have to tab repeatedly until you are in the right field.

The same repeatment is necessary on returning to the text with the shift-tabkey.

Bug:
    If you hit the tab out from a longer text, the first target in the right hand meta area is hidden behind the black headline
    and you have to use the scrollbar to make it visible!
    Plse correct this

or better

reinstall the old scrollbar!

19. Let's all publicly denounce WP.com's crap on our blogs and stop updating them, letting everyone know how much WordPress sucks compared to real CMS platforms. Time for a blog strike of indefinite duration, until the D-K's at WP.com realise they're losing suckers... Errr,I mean users.

20. @kreidfeuer: the only workable solution is to bring back the scrollbar. If they want something to help the hipsters, they can make thge editor responsive, adapting to the device used. But that requires real coders, not apes like the ones that OK'd this trash.

21. @musicdoc1

Yes, it's the only purpose that would make at least a tiny bit of sense. :(

@monaeberhardt

http://opalkatze.wordpress.com/2014/07/26/neuer-post-editor-bullshit-wordpress-com/ (in German) and
    https://twitter.com/kaffeebeimir/status/492978397262262272

22. This new "improvement" is still so stupid I can't believe it: scrolling down to the end of the post makes also all the stuff on the right column (save draft, publish, categories etc) disappear above: what if I want to edit something at the bottom, then I have to go back at the top to do everything. I want the double scrollbar back, mostly because I don't understand what did we GAIN with this change

23. WP, what are you waiting for? Return the scrollbar now. Thank you.

24. It was all about the hipsters with the tablets. Real blogging can't be done on tablets. Anyway, they tried to make it easier for the hipsters, but ruined it for those that use real computers and do real blogging. As for the trackball option... Hogwash. Why would we go looking for hard-to-find peripherals that we're not even familiar with, in order to adapt to an idiotic idea some apes pretending to know about user experience (my arse) forced down our throats? Bring back the sodding scrollbar now and quit arsing about. I'm a paying customer and demand respect for me, my time and my MONEY.

25. I just updated two very LONG pages on my blog, and I have to do it quite often (they're a sort of index of my posts, so they're regularly updated), and it was really uncomfortable

26. It was all about the hipsters with the tablets. Real blogging can't be done on tablets. Anyway, they tried to make it easier for the hipsters, but ruined it for those that use real computers and do real blogging. As for the trackball option... Hogwash. Why would we go looking for hard-to-find peripherals that we're not even familiar with, in order to adapt to an idiotic idea some apes pretending to know about user experience (my arse) forced down our throats? Bring back the sodding scrollbar now and quit arsing about. I'm a paying customer and demand respect for me, my time and my MONEY.

Agreed. If people wanted to blog on their tablets, phones, etc., then they should use the WP app. The way WP forced this "update" on us shows the sad reality and perception that people actually do believe that PCs are a thing of the past. True to the heart blogging can not be done on a mobile device. I have had the uncomfortable and unfortunate experience of trying to do so and I hated it. The scrollbar needs a quick and speedy return. I am hoping that at least by Monday WP will return some sense of normalcy to my otherwise pleasant blogging experience.

27. Imagine you have to edit a text like http://opalkatze.wordpress.com/to-be-continue/ttip-tafta/ and there is no scrollbar. Luckily this never gonna happen.

28. And yet, you have delusional "developers" who think removing an important UI element. Devs like them wouldn't last a second in the industry.

29. Correction: who think removing an important UI element is an improvement. Hey gruesome, care giving us this spin again?

30. I think it's important to remember that individuals, businesses, and organizations use WordPress for a lot of different things. Web stores, membership sites, e-learning, news sites, you name it.

WordPress powers somewhere around 18% of all sites on the web, which is a huge amount of sites. The blogging community is but one portion of the overall demographic that WordPress serves.

My guess is that the changes in 4.0 were made in consideration of the needs of the broader demographic, and in response to the changing ways that people interact with WordPress.

The new changes haven't made any impact on my use of WordPress, but I recognize that my needs are different than others, so that's not meant to discount the very real frustration and valid concerns that folks here have.

On that note, I personally have no doubt that the needs of the blogging community are being heard and will be addressed. The developers working on WordPress core are extremely smart, talented people. I have the utmost respect for them - not just for the core team, but for every volunteer who contributes to WordPress.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic