Removing the scrollbar from the post editor one of the worst "improvements" yet

• Author

Need to quote one of my earlier posts of this thread here because I thought the problem wouldn´t occur anymore, but yet they are again there…

1. It happened that the edit bar (where are icons like link / b-quote and so are) moved away from it´s place and changed from a horizontal to a vertical and placed it´s aside the editor (totally broken).

2. Proofread button does not work in the text editor sometimes while it works in the visual editor. The whole text I wrote will not be visible anymore if I click it. But if I click the button again to disable proofread, the text will appear again.

3. At times but rare… if I hit enter key to create a paragraph, it might happen that text in the paragraph before will be deleted. This is a rare bug but happened few times already.

A few minutes ago I clicked on proofread in the text editor and here is what happened again…. sometimes it occurs, sometimes the problem is away… no matter if I clear cookies and cache, this proplem occurs randomly at times or sometimes not. Here is a screenshot…

http://diaryofdennis.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/wordpress-proofread-edit-post-problems.jpg

It adds lots of white space if you click on proofread and the whole edit button bar changes from horizontal to vertical. Writing will not be possible anymore and it´s hard to get out of this mode because all is messed up once you clicked on the button. You just can save your article and load it again to publish it without proofread.

This is a horrible problem and writing is so much more difficult if there are randomly appearing bugs.

disperser

Hmmm . . . I’m reading about a lot more problems than I’m having.

One reason might be that when I create a new post I actually copy a seed post I have saved (I have disclaimers and stuff at the bottom of each post, and it’s easier to start with them in there). So, when I hit copy a post, the editor that opens is exactly like the old editor minus the scroll bar.

Everything functions the same as far as posting links, adding photos, editing scrolling, formatting.

The annoyance is that the side menu (the one with tabs, categories, save, schedule, preview, etc.) scrolls out of the frame when I edit my looong posts.

While editing I don’t have any of the listed annoyances, and the “white space” is only a line.

For information, my seed post has a single character per line for about 30 lines or so, and when I edit I overwrite those to start paragraphs (workaround I came up with for previous formatting issues I had last year). As I begin to run out, I add more by hitting the character “a” and “return” for however many more I need, then save, then go back to editing.

The whole thing works well for me, and the only problem with the missing internal scrollbar is the menu with the “save” button going off window.

If I were having as many problems as listed above, I would have already left (apparently, some would cheer while being sad).

I can post links, I can highlight a word and associate a link to it, and last I tried, I can post videos (will try on my next post). My main complaint is that the alteration to the editor forces yet another change in how one creates, edits, and publishes a post.

. . . I still have a problem inserting polls, but apparently I’m the only one with that issue, so it’s probably unrelated to the changes in editor.

hebrews110

Another issue I have is that I can’t see what page I’m editing. I work with multiple pages of my site open at once and switch back and forth. It scrolls down past the title of the page, so I can’t tell what page it is. The pages are long as well, so I can’t just scroll up a bit to see what page it is. I have to lose my place. Can the edit box be a little smaller so I can see what page I’m on or can the page name appear somewhere?

Can I have my scroll bar back please?

paulcd

Removing the scrollbar from the post editor one of the worst “improvements” yet

Mine is gone also and i do most my writing and spreadsheets off of wordpress so i paste them this is when not having the scrollbar is really bad because there is no way the post can be moved in the posting box

Sorry, due to my lack of finesse with computerese, I couldn’t remember the lingo to simply call a “vertical scrollbar” a “vertical scrollbar,” and started a thread called “New posting page mechanics seem to have changed for the worse.” I don’t know yet if anyone is following there, or if I have received a response, but I’m going to check it. I just thought since I’ve now discovered this long thread that users and staff might want to know about it.

musicdoc1

I liked the internal post editor scrollbar and have failed to notice anything significant gained by having removed it. The developers apparently sought an aesthetic change, percieving something more “elegant” in having one scrollbar instead of two. But we must have it, I accept it and have no intention of leaving WordPress over something so…relatively innocuous. Be that as it may, the new mod could be improved.

Question: If two scrollbars are so awful, so abhorrent to one’s sensibilities, why do we still have two in WP forums?

I support the idea, previously put forth by thenakedlistener in his pros & cons summary, of including a “Save” button in the post editor toolbar, but add that an “Update” button should be included as well. Or a single button could perhaps be toggled between save and update depending upon whether the page or post was published or not. For me this would be even better than unpinning the sidebar meta boxes, which could become annoying, in order to reduce scrolling time (increased by the mod). However, I appreciate that the latter fix would be more appropriate for some users, those who frequently copy and paste words and phrases from text in long posts to the tags box, for example.

musicdoc1

Correction: “But we must have it…” should be “But if we must have it…”

musicdoc1

Re: proofreader in text mode issues

@ diaryofdennis,

I tried to duplicate the issue you described above. My result was similar. The proofreader works as normal in pages and posts with the editor in visual mode. In text mode it also works, but it gets stuck there, and you can’t get out of it without leaving the post and returning, or refreshing (control + F5). Like you, I also had the post/page editor toolbar travel from the top of the window to the left side of the window after pressing the proofread button while in text mode, with the alignment of the toolbar buttons changed from horizontal to vertical.

Unlike you, I didn’t have any white space added.

I know how to make screenshots, but I don’t know how to include a screenshot from my blog here, as you did, without publishing it (which I don’t want to do).

@musicdoc1

Thanks for confirming. Good to know that I am not the only one with the issue. I by the way use Firefox. Maybe this is important to know for the developers. Do you use Firefox browser too?

About the screenshot…
    In the dashboard of your blog and on the right dashboard sidebar… click on “media” and then on “Add New”. Drop the file there or click on “Select files”. Once uploaded, just click on media again where you find all your uploads. Your new uploaded screenshot should now be on top of the list… go over the image with your mouse and click on the pencil symbol that appears there. This is the image edit mode and on the on the right side, you just need to take the direct adress to the image under “URL”. Link this address here and we will find your screenshot.

musicdoc1

diaryofdennis,

Sorry about the delay. Yes, it could be another bug they have to iron out. Wait…that’s a mixed metaphor. I use the latest FF. Been thinking about the fact that FF came out with their new version on the same day as this WordPress mod, 22 September.

Just a hunch: beginning to suspect that some of the weird things we’ve been seeing in the post editor might be FF bugs, or compatibility issues between a new FF and new WP version introduced at the same time.

Thanks for the info on how to use the screenshot in forums. I’ll try it. Do only members have access to those screenshots, through a link here?

auxclass

If you post a link (an image in your media library, or on some other file / image sharing service) to a screen shot in the forum, then anyone that visits here can view the screen shot if they click on the link

If you post an image in your media library, then make a note in the forum that it is in the media library – but you provide no link to the image – only the staff can see the image

musicdoc1

Only staff? I was able to see the image diaryofdennis linked to above, in his media files I guess. I’m not staff.

auxclass

linked to above

they posted a link – as I noted above – anyone can click on the link – if you don’t post a link – then only staff can see the image because you don’t know what the image link is – the staff can see the media library

RESIZING IMAGES IN THE POST EDITOR

When an image was added to text in the post editor, it could be resized by pulling the image at the bottom corner, wherewith it would resize proportionally. Or it could be made wider, but not longer, by pulling on the side of the image. Or it could be made longer, but not wider, by pulling on the bottom edge of the image.

These last two functions have now disappeared. However the image is pulled, it is made larger (or smaller) proportionally only.

When the image can only be resized proportionally, it cannot be correctly aligned with text. Now a white space is often created below the image when it is resized because it cannot be made to fit the text without changing its whole size.

The problem is compounded when more than one image is added to text as there is the need to keep the images the same width they are posted in a column.

The previous system of resizing images in text was much better. There were three independent functions for resizing the image, which allowed the image to be aesthetically aligned with the text it was set in.

It would be much appreciated if we could have all these independent resizing functions back again.

musicdoc1

Got it. But it seems odd to me that anybody, even a non-member, can see an image in my media files with just a link.

RESIZING IMAGES IN THE POST EDITOR

When an image was added to text in the post editor, it could be resized by pulling the image at the bottom corner, wherewith it would resize proportionally. Or it could be made wider, but not longer, by pulling on the side of the image. Or it could be made longer, but not wider, by pulling on the bottom edge of the image.

These last two functions have now disappeared. However the image is pulled, it is made larger (or smaller) proportionally only.

When the image can only be resized proportionally, it cannot be correctly aligned with text. Now a white space is often created below the image when it is resized because it cannot be made to fit the text without changing its whole size.

The problem is compounded when more than one image is added to text as there is the need to keep the images the same width they are posted in a column.

The previous system of resizing images in text was much better. There were three independent functions for resizing the image, which allowed the image to be aesthetically aligned with the text it was set in.

It would be much appreciated if we could have all these independent resizing functions back again.

musicdoc1

bharatabharati,

I’ve always resized my images proportionally. Well, 99.9% of the time. Occasionally might want a little distortion. Have often spent a lot of time finding a good fit with text, but the problem always seemed to me to be long words, which inevitably leave gaps around an image aligned to the right, and gaps around the right margin when an image is aligned left.

How did you use non-proportional resizing to get a good fit with text?

musicdoc1,

If the image size is kept to 200 px–little more is fine–there usually won’t be gaps in the text surrounding the image.

I got a good fit by previewing the post with the image inserted and then making adjustments as needed in the post editor. These adjustments were usually very small and did not distort the image.

kokkieh
    Staff

@musicdoc1

But it seems odd to me that anybody, even a non-member, can see an image in my media files with just a link.

Your media library is as public as your posts. If you insert an image into a post you’re actually inserting a link to the media library, we just don’t see the link due to how the software works. So, if you provide the direct link to your library and your blog is public, anyone can follow that link to the image, unless you delete the image.

Another way to post screenshots here is to use http://snag.gy/ . Simply paste your image on that website and paste the URL it generates here. Much simpler than uploading to your media library.

Just a hunch: beginning to suspect that some of the weird things we’ve been seeing in the post editor might be FF bugs, or compatibility issues between a new FF and new WP version introduced at the same time.

The gallery issue definitely seems to be a FF31 issue as I’ve not found someone yet experiencing it in Chrome or IE. It’s just a bad coincidence that it happened at the same time as the updates to the editor, causing it own bugs on top of everything else.

The topic ‘Removing the scrollbar from the post editor one of the worst "improvements" yet’ is closed to new replies.