Greetings everyone. It appears as though this post slider issue is very common, and I'm yet another person that is stymied. Below are detailed instructions I've compiled based on all the forum posts and WordPress documentation. I would appreciate anyone's help in determining where I am going wrong as I've spent 6 hours so far banging my head against the wall.
I will admit I'm a little disappointed in that the template I've selected - Hero - doesn't default to looking *exactly* like it's viewed in the demo. Although this seems to be the case with all the templates (I've tried Oxygen and several others that have a post slider available), I don't understand why the post slider cannot be pre-built. Why cant the template have a default static showcase / home page and a post page, then 2-3 example photos that can be replaced with your own pictures on the front slider? This would appear to me as an excellent way to get someone up and running ASAP.
When I choose a template I'm not just examining the font and background, etc. - I'm also looking at the layout. A layout that isn't defaulted to exactly what I see in the demo doesn't seem to be a template. But maybe that's just my naiveté.
Anyway, here's my instructions using the Oxygen template. Someone please show me where I'm wrong. Items in < > are the buttons you click on with my commentary in regular text. First thing you do is go to dashboard, and we're going to start as if you don't have any posts or pages. I'm starting with a clean slate and photos already loaded in my media library.
1. Push <Pages> then <add new> and click in the very obvious 'enter title here' rectangle and name the page "Home".
2. Go to far right side and you'll see 3 big grey boxes titled Publish, Page Attributes, Featured Image. Go to Page Attributes box and you'll find Parent, Template, Order. Click on template dropdown arrow and you'll find default, full page width, showcase page. Click showcase page. Go to Publish box just above your Page Attributes box, push blue <Update> button. Don't do anything else.
3. Go to top of page and see "Edit Page"; click <add new> and title it 'Posts' and <Publish>.
4. Go to <settings> on the dashboard. Click and view <General> <Writing> <Reading> etc. Click <Reading>. You are sent to Reading Settings. First thing says "Front page displays.' Default is to 'latest posts', but you need to click the Static page radio button. Then hop down to 'Front page" and click <select> drop down arrow. Click <Home>. At 'Posts page' line click <select> and <Post>. Scroll down to bottom of page and <save changes>
5. Go over to left and click <Posts> then <add new>. Title this post 'Test 1.' View <add media> button; look to far right of this and find <visual> and <text> tabs. Click <visual>. NOW click <add media>. You are sent to Insert Media webpage. Click <media library>
***Now, this is important: supposedly you need pics that are 750 pixels wide for the slider to work properly. If you don't have ones this size, reupload some big pictures so you can continue and hence click <upload files> to do so. Go through that process before continuing).***
6. Insert Media page, click a big pic and you'll see a big grey rectangle on the right with 'Attachment details' and 'Attachment display' settings. Down below the latter is 'alignment' and 'link to' and 'size'. Go to the 'size' dropdown arrow and select full size. You'll see at that point if your pic is above 750. Click <insert into post> and you're taken back to your Add New Post page. Click <publish>. You will now see your posted image and it will say you published x number of posts.
7. Click <new post> and do this all over again with 2 more posts named test 2 and test 3.
8. Go back to dashboard and click <posts> then <all posts>. View your posts. You SHOULD see the word 'image' after each post name, but for some reason I only occasionally see the word there...even though I check back and there is indeed an image on the view tab in the post. Makes no sense to me, but whatever. Keep on page.
9. View <bulk actions> and <apply> buttons. Below the former you'll see 'title"; click the check box on the left. All three of your posts will be check marked. Click on <bulk actions> and click <edit> and <apply>. A huge "bulk edit" window will push down your posts. Go all the way over to the right side and view 'sticky'. Click <no change> and <sticky>. This will - supposedly - stick all the photos from your post to the showcase page, your "Home" page.
***IMPORTANT*** I'm going to pause here as this does not occur for me. I have no photos visible on my Home page whatsoever. When I look on my Posts page I have all posts there from most current to oldest...but there's a grey box for each photo. Clicking on each box takes me to the individual post whereupon I can view the photo. If I click on the photo it will open up to its full size.
I've then added 3 more posts selecting the exact same photos, but this time shrinking them to thumbnail size (~ 200x300 instead of ~3840x2560, say). Same result.
Now, if someone could please indicate what I have done wrong here I would certainly appreciate it. If you could describe exactly what I'm supposed to do, in the same way I've done up above, it will not only help me with this problem but will very likely resolve this Showcase / Post slider problem once and for all.
I'm glad most everyone has eventually solved their problem (and even indicate the happiness in their forum post!), but the final 'solution' they've found does not seem to be described in a detailed way that it can bring this innumerably posted issue to a close.
Please, please *please* give me some detailed instructions. I'm now signing off to find the First Aid kit and bandage up my damaged cranium.
The blog I need help with is masterworksstudiollc.wordpress.com.