I just started my blog about a week ago and have accumulated 19 followers. I know that is a good start, however when I look at my site stats and see how many people have checked my blog and have not signed up, I get discouraged. How do I get my site traffic to stay!? If anyone can check out my blog and give suggestions or just respond to this that would be great, thanks!
Need help? Check out our Support site, then
You can start with the link to the learn WordPress.com tutorial found at the bottom of your Admin page. You can also use the "support" link at the bottom of your Admin page to search there > getting more views and traffic. Then search the forums and you will find lots of relevant advice.
Here are 25 basic steps to take to increase traffic to your blog:
1. Structure a reader and search engine blog;
2. In blogging content is king create unique, high quality content so publish fresh content frequently;
3. Learn basic SEO so you can use keywords effectively and apply basic SEO to your headlines, blog and posts;
Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of improving the visibility of a website or a web page in search engines via the "natural" or un-paid ("organic" or "algorithmic") search results.
4. Make your blog posts look professional;
5. Create at least 4-6 pillar posts and continue to create pillar posts;
Pillar posts are also referred to as flagship content. Pillar posts are comprehensive posts that offer great value to readers as the contents are timeless in nature. They define you as having authority in the niche you blog in.
6. Select and link to appropriate anchor text;
7. Leave meaningful comments on related blogs and encourage comments on your own blog;
8. Develop relationships with other bloggers so you can build a blog readers’ community around your own blog;
9. Support the blog centered communities on related blogs by commenting on them and promoting posts from them;
10. Link to authoritative sources in your posts;
11. Deep link to your earlier related posts in your new posts;
12. Assign appropriate categories and tag your posts with care;
13. Link to related authoritative blogs in your blogroll;
14. Provide RSS feeds for subscribers;
RSS (Rich Site Summary or really simple syndication) is a format for delivering regularly changing web content. Many news-related sites, weblogs and other online publishers syndicate their content as an RSS Feed to whoever wants it.
15. Having a well designed theme is important, evaluate your theme for effectiveness, and if required, create a new header, make improvements or replace your theme and reduce page loading time;
16. Avoid cluttering your blog with widgets that lack reader value and slow page loading time;
17. Buy your own domain and domain mapping;
18. Verify your blog with the three big search engines.
19. Get organized, use an online to do list by developing a blogging workflow;
20. Join social networks and social media sites like Facebook and use Twitter, Friendfeed and other Free RSS directories to promote your blog posts;
21. Promote your blog through social networks, online groups, and selected directories;
22. Develop a social media time management strategy and stick to it;
23. Submit your latest pillar article to a blog carnival;
24. Become a guest blogger on sites with higher page rank than your own site.
25. Create newsletters and/or ebooks for your subscribers.
I have been blogging for 12 days and I have 2 followers. I have had 361 hits. Morale of the story - not everyone that reads your posts will sign up - I have had complements from people who have read my blog (on the forums that I mentioned the blog) but they haven't followed per se. Don't be discouraged, 19 followers in a week is something I dream of!
moved to Off Topic
19 followers in your first week is excellent! Keep up the good work.
You can't expect the world to sign up after just starting out. There are literally millions of blogs hosted on WordPress.com alone let alone everything else out there. The key is continually writing good content on a consistent basis so that readers know what and when to expect from your blog. When you start out you have to expect small numbers. I started in October and was getting about 20-30 hits per day but that number has steadily increased every week to now where I'm getting between 150-200 and I have 50 WP subscribers.
The other thing you need to do is make sure your blog URL is in your signature, which it doesn't appear that it is. This way, when you comment on other WP blogs, which you should be doing, they can click back to your blog.
If I you post a link to your blog, I will check it out and consider subscribing if I like it.
[link with nudity removed from a public forum that children browse]
Thanks for the advice!
This topic has been closed to new replies.