Tag & link managment! (long read beware!)
Ugh for point number 2: where I said “people” I meant other websites/other blogs…. Don’t confuse with me thinking of the “blogroll” feature which is great for managing your blogroll…
No one? :(
I don’t use tags, so I don’t have much to contribute. What do you mean by “tag management,” for example?
Staff doesn’t really use the forum for dialogue. It’s better for getting the opinions of other bloggers.
- Tag Management will land, I’m sure. It’s in WP 2.5 and I already tested it on a WP.org blog. We’ll have to wait until Automattic feels like pushing the new code into WP.com.
- I’m not that much of a coder but this sounds like it requires some heavy crunching on the server’s part
- We’re all eagerly waiting
- As pint 1., it will come with all the 2.5 goodness
- Care to elaborate? I don’t get your point, sorry.
Raincoaster: Ah ‘tag managment’ is like the ‘category page’ found somewhere in our dashboard, where you can do things to the tags and see all of them on one page all at once… instead of having to go to individual articles to edit them. Oh, I saw staff post here on the forums from time to time, that’s why I thought they might have a look at it/comment/say theyll think about it that kind of thing… but yeah, hearing what other people have to say will be good as well :)
Deltafoxtrot: Cool cool! Geat to hear that 1,3 and 4 are going to arrive soon :)
May I ask what did you mean about point 2(my reference to having a page for all the links you have made)? (Too much for the servers to handle?)
I’ll give you an example of point 5:
Say I make a new blog. I post on it and make an article about DOGS. So I type it out, add a pic and put it under no category but I tag it as “Dogs”. I publish it then go along and click on the “Tag surfer”… There I can see people talking about “Dogs” due to the tag that I used on my first post.
Now, If I delete that tag from the “tag surfer” (but it still stays on my article as a tag) I will have a blank page on the “tag surfer” page…. Now let’s say I type in “CATS” in the tag surfer…… All of a sudden all these articles about ‘cats’ come up…..
Now I decide to myself, Ok I am going to write another blog. So I click on new post, then I start typing up a article about another Dog… So I finish typing it up, put in another ‘dog’ tag and NOW however when I look at the category list… I can see an option for “cats”…… Even though I had no intention to write about it and put it under the ‘cat’ category…
So what happened to me was.. I searched all these random things on the tag surfer… when I went to make another post, I had at least 20 categories that I was confused at where they came from (because before that I had 3/4)….
Sooooooooooo it’s not a catastrophe/major bug…. but I thought id just like to point it out, so as the tags you use on tag surfer dont get themselves implemented as categories…
Ok I think I need to lie down…
2) To list all those links, the software needs to index them and put the appropriate information in a database. That’s some server load. And it needs to change all affected entries when you change a link. Apart from that one may not want to change all instances of a link for whatever reason. A safeguard for that case would complicate the feature.
5) I get it: Subscribing to a tag in the tag surfer creates a category by the same name. That’s a bug for sure.
For number 2: Aaahhhh didn’t think it would seem so complicated but you made a valid point :)….. I will ask for the feature again maybe in WordPress 4.5 :)
for 5: Hehe yeah, I guess no one bothered to say anything about it as people might use cats/tags interchangably…. Anyway maybe someone should submit it to wordpress via an email (I would do it, but I am never able to get to wordpress during their contact hours due to other comitments like sleeping and uni hehe..)
The topic ‘Tag & link managment! (long read beware!)’ is closed to new replies.