It seems there is an unwritten set of rules that we need to clarify here. How to hijack threads properly. Changing the subject of a thread is considered hijacking it yes? So why is it that some are OK and others are not......we need some clarity so we can ALL hijack properly, and avoid the accusation of an improper hijacker.
From my observations I've found two rules that make it OK, and one that makes it wrong. We need to set these rules out in another sticky that nobody will read......so we can point imperiously and say "well, it was pointed out, didn't you read the sticky?" as we sneer at the offenders.
1. A group hijack where people all gang up like kids in the playground to destroy something and have the anonymity of a group action to avoid blame and the sanctuary of peer pressure.
2. Where it's not in a "support" section.
1. In a "support" section.
2. By one person (whether the subtopic is related or not).
Two examples, judge for yourself.
1. Club Penguin - INTENTIONALLY hijacked and destroyed by respected forum members. http://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic.php?id=9098&page&replies=207"
2. AdSense - One (of LOTS) which seem to have offended some. http://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic.php?id=11780&page&replies=19
I seek to clarify this in it's own thread, as it feels that without clarification some of us may hijack improperly and be accused of not obeying the rules. It also allows us to figure out the rules we are all expected to obey.
Feel free to hijack this thread, although doing so improperly may result in a telling off from someone who knows the proper form for hijacking. I've decided to start this thread in the "off-topic" section which unless I got that confused, is one of the "allowed" sections.
It may be that there is a hidden option in the dashboard which must be ticked to be included in the list of people allowed to hijack, I've not seen it......but then if there's an "in" crowd the knowledge of that option will be imparted when they invite you to officially become one of them.
There may be a form you fill in, requesting to be part of an allowed list. It may be a paid extra like so many things here. Please help us clarify the rules on hijacking threads, we all need the guidance to avoid the wrath of the big kahuna.