Third Party Templates
Can wordpress.com accounts upload third party templates? If not, how do I switch from a .com to .org account?
The blog I need help with is paulgotthardt.com.
The only themes we can use on free hosted WordPress.com blogs like your blog are the themes found here http://wordpress.com/themes/
There is no FTP access to free hosted WordPress.com blogs and we cannot:
upload any third party themes,
create child themes,
create our own themes,
or use stylesheets from other themes.
There is no upgrade you can purchase that changes that. WordPress.org offers free software that you can install on a web server. You can create themes, upload and install themes and plugins, run ads, and edit the database, etc. Learn about the differences here. http://support.wordpress.com/com-vs-org/
To move your content you need to create an XML export file of your content. It will not include the theme as they cannot be exported. See 3 below. It will not include any text widget content so put it in a draft post prior to creating the XML export file.
1. Hire a web host http://wordpress.org/hosting/
3. Export your content out of your WordPress.com blog http://en.support.wordpress.com/export/ and import it into the install.
4. Purchase a site redirect upgrade from wordpress.com
http://en.support.wordpress.com/site-redirect/ or if you have domain mapping then update the nameservers http://en.support.wordpress.com/domains/domain-management/
5. Transfer subscribers and stats. See http://en.support.wordpress.com/moving-a-blog/moving-your-subscribers/
6. Set your wordpress.com blog visibility to private. To change blog visibility to private go to > Settings > Reading scroll to Blog Visibility and choose option 3 . See the guide here http://en.support.wordpress.com/settings/privacy-settings/
Alternatively you can purchase a Guided Transfer and Staff will do the move and set up for you http://en.support.wordpress.com/guided-transfer/
NOTE: WordPress.com and WordPress.org have different log-ins and run different versions of themes with same names. If you don’t have a username account at WordPress.ORG click http://wordpress.org/support/ and register one on the top right hand corner of the page that opens, so you can post to the support forums there and receive advice from WordPress.ORG bloggers.
Thank you so much. I think I will opt for the guided transfer. :)
You’re welcome and best wishes with your move.
The topic ‘Third Party Templates’ is closed to new replies.