Infinite scroll added to two themes in WP.com

• Author

shoreacres

I do not use these themes, but I READ some bloggers who use these themes.

This is the most annoying and frustrating thing ever. I had no idea what was happening – I kept scrolling and scrolling trying to get to the bottom, to information which I expected to be there.

I never found it.

You say: In the quest to make visitors engage with your content as effortlessly as possible we are rolling out a new feature to your blog home pages—infinite scrolling!

This visitor says this is one of the worst changes I’ve ever seen at WordPress.

For one thing – you cannot MAKE a visitor engage with anything. For another, you are going to be driving people away from these blogs. It is a terrible experience.

jennr2014

I had just changed to Twenty Eleven recently and had just added footers a day or two before the change to infinite scrolling took effect. It is frustrating to have the footers absent (except on archive and viewing single posts). I did notice the pop-up transparent 20-11 footer.

I’ve been wondering why my view stats are up where they are. Perhaps the discussion explains that.

I place the Meta widget at the bottom of the sidebar. The infinite scrolling “slips and slides” when trying to access log in/out.

I just used Print Friendly today and I think that the inf. scrolling feature forces it to manage one post instead of a group of posts. On archived posts it manages the limited number of posts per page. (As far as I can tell.)

If I had more invested in the way of CSS or clients, viewers, etc., my experience w/this and voice would have protested readily.

I am interested in what I read that perhaps there are pending additional changes that will better this and that everyone will like those changes. It is a cool feature. However, I agree that options and/or warnings would be/have been appropriate. Especially options. Thanks, Jenn

runcamille

I’m a professional runner and was repping my sponsors in the footer…. now they’re gone! Please change it back– looks messy having infinite scroll! I had changed my home page to displaying only 3 posts, to keep it simple (and so you could see my footer with sponsors). I have archive and search features to the right. I would might infinite scroll for other pages I’ve created, but NOT my homepage.

thomasn528

What a really bad idea!

I was going nuts trying to get to the bottom of my home page. Why? BECAUSE THAT’S WHERE (…ok I’ll stop shouting… ) because that’s where my “Meta” widget was with the login link.

In general, when you have what you think is a good idea, give people the chance to opt in or not, don’t do it to them.

thomasn528

Jiminy Christmas. Seriously, did no one at all think “um, hey, what about everyone’s footer widgets?” What did you test this out on? Or did you? I mean, I know wordpress.com is free and I guess I get what I pay for, but this just seems like a newbie programmer/developer error. It ought to become a classic case study for it, anyway.

hand2mouth

I’m just going to paste what I sent, because nobody has mentioned accessibility so far:

You need to give us an option to turn off the sudden new “feature” that has removed pagination in Twenty Ten, causing the page to scroll/refresh continuously and putting a non-removable pop-up link at the bottom of the screen saying the name and theme of the blog. I chose this theme because it was easiest to read visually. I know at least one of my readers uses a screen reader. Others have other disabilities. I don’t know what this is going to do to the accessibility of my blog. Changing the behavior of a page in such a large way without an off button is really, really bad practice.

limberation

I just tried to read a blog on one of these scrolling themes – it is AWFUL!!!!!

Now, where you might have put this feature for it to actually be useful was the “My Comments” section of the Dashboard.

Let me ask this – how many professional company website (including this forum) have endless landing pages? NOT MANY!

What this may drive many to do is use a static landing page because the “blog” page now becomes totally useless for anything other than a “tumblr” approach to life.

If we wanted that – guess what – we’d be on tumblr and not here!

Do not commoditize – that is the marketer’s nightmare! Once your product is commoditized you have nothing that you can sell – customers go for the cheapest. I accept we are the guinea pigs for the paying customers, but if all you are going to kive them is a tumble clone, why would they stay?

Why would we stay?

Differentiation, Mark, is the key to marketing success.

anitahb5

THIS SUCKS

airodyssey

If you seriously believe this is such a great feature, but given the outcry that this is causing among your loyal blogger base, why not:
    – make it opt-in only for all existing blogs AND
    – turn it on by default for all new blogs
    Would that be a fair compromise?

airodyssey

…and with the possibility of opting out at any time, should I add :-)

thomasn528

down with #infinitescroll #occupywordpress.com @wordpressdotcom @wpbeginner @wordpress

#infinitescrollsux bit.ly/xj8aBd @wordpress @wpbeginner @wordpressdotcom #occupywordpress

nickwk

Maybe a warning for people using the theme? I wasted a lot of time trying to figure out why my site was broken.

Also, could you clear up if there will be an option to turn this off? Because honestly, it makes my already amateur looking site look even more amateur.

auxclass

There is no option to turn it off and it is not looking good to get that option – your Stats also seem to be broken now with fake Home Page views.

Dear WordPress,

After almost 100 posts on this thread, all but one of which clearly signal concern and dissatisfaction with this development, now would be a good time for some kind of a response. I think that people deserve it.

To recap:

1. Everyone very much appreciates all that you do.

2. We recognize that you will not get it right every time.

3. You did not get it right this time.

4. Changing a key feature on selected themes without warning is not fair to the users of those themes. Whenever you introduce a new theme, you put a lot of effort into explaining what the features of that new theme are so that users can make an informed choice. It is not right to make changes after the fact.

5. It has not gone unnoticed that there was no news announcement of this change; only a short comment on a forum post.

6. Many users (myself included) thought that they had done something wrong on their blogs. After 15 minutes of going through my dashboard, I figured I search the forum and found the answer. I suspect that many newer members are still scrambling to find out what has happened. They won’t.

7. The change eliminates a key feature of the Twenty-Ten and Twenty-Eleven themes: footers on the home page.

8. The transparent little pop-up that appears when you reach the bottom of the page is seriously annoying and adds no value.

9. The change has messed up the statistics for views on the home page.

10. Experienced members such as @timethief who spend a lot of their time answering questions on forums, helping members and strongly supporting most WordPress policies have come out very much against this development. That should tell you something.

11. Mistakes happen.

12. This was a mistake.

13. You have a chance to fix the mistake. Please fix it. It’s the right thing to do.

Thank you for listening. We look forward to hearing from you.

John Zimmer

justjennifer

If this is such an engaging feature, why hasn’t it been implemented on the Freshly Pressed homepage? Maybe because people might actually want or need to get to the information in the footer widgets? (That’s my biggest complaint about the “Blogs I Follow” homepage because it forces me to switch to another tab if I want to get to the footer.)

This feature needs a rethink.

Meantime I’m switching any site I have that was using Twenty-Ten or Twenty-Eleven to other themes. Fortunately those sites are few and minimally customized. Unfortunately, that is certainly not the case for many, many other bloggers with sites here who have spent hours, and perhaps also money, customizing their Twenty-Ten or Twenty-Eleven themes.

moreno91

We blog because we have opinions. Here’s mine.
    http://holographicmeatloaf.com/2012/02/09/wordpress-hates-your-furniture/

I’ve just been made aware of this by a colleague I’ve been working with for many years. You have destroyed her blog by adding this ludicrous continuous scrolling. The whole damn reason for coming to WordPress in the first place was to keep some control on the look of the site.

I suggest that you either do away with this feature straight away or make it optional. I also have a blog with you on the recommendation of this colleague and if you think I’m interested in this being introduced to my theme, you are completely wrong.

If that is the case I will move my blog to one of your competitors.

namibsands

Please, listen to your community of bloggers. We are ALL unhappy with this ‘neat new feature’. At the very least, give us the option of opting out!

I am most upset at now having to find another theme, and customise all my settings and redo all my headers all over again, when it took ages the last time!

(http://namibsands.wordpress.com/2012/02/09/dear-wordpress-com-stop-messing-with-our-themes/)

I have no doubt that the infinite scroll is a great feature for Twenty Twelve, but the above should continue as they are …

PóluxCrivillé

mnetnologia

I have decided to temporarily change to another theme (which is far worse), but I trust you’ll eventually do the right thing

The topic ‘Infinite scroll added to two themes in WP.com’ is closed to new replies.