transfering from wordpress.com to wordpress.org
Hello, I know this topic has been touched on several times but I have not found a sufficient answer to my question. I would like to transfer my wordpress.com to a self-hosted wordpress.org. My host (which I already have) is blue host and the blog i’d like to transfer is http://www.theviennasecession.com. I’m considering using the guided- transfer service which wordpress offers. My questions and concerns are the following:
1. My blog is mostly a photoblog with about 2000+ images. Will I be able to transfer those images? I would really like to know for certain that all the images will transfer otherwise there is no point.
2. I purchased the customization on wordpress.com. Will I be able to keep my theme and the CSS changes I made?
3. Will I lose all the traffic I’ve been getting?
Many thanks in advance!
The blog I need help with is theviennasecession.com.
I’ll mark this for staff to look at. Hopefully you’ll get an answer soon.
As far as I know the customization and css changes don’t transfer (and some of the themes here aren’t available on wp.org, and those that are, are configured differently).
May I give you a suggestion for how to do a better searches for the info you want?
To do a more accurate search in the support pages, go to Google search, type
then type a space and type a keyword or keywords, or a phrase or two and do a search on that in Google. To get a more accurate search on more than one keyword or on a phrase, enclose them in double quotes. For instance, if you were trying to find information on how to use the Media Library in WordPress.com blog, you could type:
site:en.support.wordpress.com/ “Media Library”
which would get you results quickly.
To do a more accurate search in the WordPress.com Forums, go to Google search, type:
then type a space, and then follow that with your keyword or keywords inside double quotes as before.
I hope some of that helps. The staff aren’t around much at weekends, but hopefully someone will come by after that, and one of the other volunteers here might have an answer for you in the meantime.
2) no, but many themes here have similar versions available for WordPress.org. You’ll have to do customizations all over again.
3) no, but you will lose some SEO and see a drop in hits. Not huge, but noticeable.
The topic ‘transfering from wordpress.com to wordpress.org’ is closed to new replies.