Tumblr Import

• Author

dolorosa12

As instructed, I am creating a new topic about my Tumblr import failing to work after more than 24 hours. It’s been about 36 hours since my import began.

The site I’m importing to is https://dolorosatumblrbackup.wordpress.com/

I would also like to know if the import will continue to queue if I shut down my computer, or if it needs to be on and the import open in the browser for it to continue running.

The blog I need help with is dolorosa12.wordpress.com.

Hi dolorosa12,

I’ve double checked to confirm your import is still queued. It didn’t cancel. But please do reconnect to your Tumblr account if you’ve disconnected it, as that could be preventing it from starting.

We’re processing quite a few imports from Tumblr at the moment, which is causing a backlog of imports in our system. While it may look like your import failed, it’s just in line for processing, and luckily it’s still in the queue. At this point I’m not able to give an estimate on how long it might take to catch up with the backlog, though.

dolorosa12

I haven’t disconnected it – it still shows the import as being ‘in progress’. Could you please confirm that it will continue to queue and import if my computer is switched off?

kokkieh
    Staff

Thanks for checking.

Your import is still queued, so we’re still waiting. At this point we’re unable to give an estimate on how long it might take to catch up with the backlog, though – it’s taking longer than anticipated, but the importer is running and will hopefully get to your site soon.

You can safely switch off your computer – this process runs on our servers, not on your computer.

dolorosa12

I can see that my import has now begun, but at some point hit the maximum for storage of media. I’ve been deleting media to free up storage, but it appears the import is now paused. Would anyone be able to look into this?

kokkieh
    Staff

Hi there,

The importer shows that it completed successfully, but it does seem there are fewer posts on your WordPress.com site than on your Tumblr. I’ve reset the importer so you can start again.

If it seems to take long, please be patient and don’t try cancelling the process yourself – we’re still experiencing a high volume of imports from Tumblr at the moment causing a backlog of pending imports in our system. The imports are being run in the order they are submitted, but it could be a few days before your new import is processed.

If some posts have already imported they will be skipped by the importer during your next attempt, so they should not be duplicated.

If you’ve used up the 3GB of free media storage you can increase that by upgrading to any of our paid plans.

https://en.support.wordpress.com/space-upgrade/

Please note that deleting images from the media library cannot be reversed, and if you delete an image from the library it will also disappear from any post where it’s been used, so only delete images from the library if you no longer want them on your site at all.

dolorosa12

Thank you very much for that. I’m quite aware that deleting images from the media library means they disappear from the posts — I’m happy not to host them on WordPress, and will be doing so with any large files that import.

Would you mind clarifying if the reset import is just going to import the posts that are missing from my Tumblr, or if it will reimport the 5000 or so that have already successfully imported?

Thank you for your patience in answering all the many Tumblr-related questions, as I imagine you’re all pretty swamped right now.

Hi dolorosa12,

Would you mind clarifying if the reset import is just going to import the posts that are missing from my Tumblr, or if it will reimport the 5000 or so that have already successfully imported?

Once the second import has been started (it looks like you’ve done so), only the missing content will be imported. It won’t duplicate content that has already been imported successfully :)

dolorosa12

Hi,

The second import started successfully and it imported a great many posts, but it now seems to have paused/disconnected again. I did not disconnect it.

Would it be possible to reset it again so that the remaining content imports?

Thanks in advance.

supernovia
    Staff

@dolorosa12 we’ve reset this for you again. Let us know if you need more help!

dolorosa12

Many thanks. The full import has now completed. I appreciate your help with the entire process.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.